"Southwestern Trip ~ Mesa Verde National Park" Mesa Verde National Park by dacrites
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 547 photos
Day 2 of my Southwestern Vacation. Stayed the night in Cortez, CO...and then got up early and headed to Four Corners National Monument, which I missed last night by 15 minutes...then backtracked to Mesa Verde. Was here from 9:30 am to 3 pm...before heading to Utah to see Arches National Park. My ultimate travel tip? Never plan to see two National Parks in one day! Especially when heat records are being broke all over the place...in otherwords...it was HOT! LOL
When I got to the park entrance I was informed that more than half the park was closed due to the extreme fire danger. Unfortunately, as July is a busy tourist month, and only about 9 sites available to see....I wasn't able to take the ranger-guided tours that I had wanted to...the waiting list was too long. I ended up taking a self-guided tour of the Wetherill Mesa Step House dwelling. Caught the shuttle bus from the visitor's center and took the 45 minute ride to the Wetherill site. From there you hike down a trail to the Step House. It was very interesting. I suggest taking plenty of water, especially if you go during the summer months. It was extremely hot, and you do a lot of hiking. Anyone with heart trouble might want to reconsider your visit. Most of the sites involve strenous climbing, hiking, etc.
I want to go back some day and concentrate on following the trail fo the Ancients...the Anazai people, and study some more in depth about their way of life. It's very fascinating.
Mesa Verde wildflowers, along the trail, on the hike down to Step House cliff dwelling.
Check out the varigated rocks....very unusual looking, spotted red and tan.
- In a nutshell:Lots of wonderful ancient history about a people long gone!
dacrites' Related Pages
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Castles in Cliffs"
- "Basaic Mesa Verde National Park Page"
- "They're Not Messing Around at Mesa Verde"
- "Amazing Mesa Verde National Park"
- "The basketmakers"
- "Best Concentration of Cliff Dwellings in the U.S."
- "Walk a mile in their moccasins...I dare you..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mesa Verde National Park
- Hotels in Mesa Verde National Park
- Transportation in Mesa Verde National Park
- Nightlife in Mesa Verde National Park
- Restaurants in Mesa Verde National Park
- Shopping in Mesa Verde National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mesa Verde National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mesa Verde National Park
- 1 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mesa Verde National Park
Photos in Mesa Verde National ParkSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Wyoming Intro, 8 reviews, 149 photos, 7 travelogues
- Pinedale Intro, 3 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Albuquerque Intro, 9 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Mexico Intro, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 1 review, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington State Intro, 3 reviews, 31 photos, 3 travelogues
- Mesa Verde National Park Intro, 1 review, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Arizona Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Massachusetts Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.