"City of Rancho Cucamonga" Rancho Cucamonga by Mandy23
Rancho Cucamonga Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 106 photos
Rancho Cucamonga is located in San Bernardino County, east of Los Angeles and has a population of approx. 147.000.
Where does the cities name come from?
The name "Cucamonga" may come from a Shoshone word meaning "sandy place" and is the tribal name of the first Native Americans settling in this region around 750 A.D. Rancho is Spanish for 'cattle ranch' and dates from 1839. Thats when Don Tiburcio Tapia, a businessman and judge from Los Angeles, filed an application with Mexicos Governor of California, for a plot of land called Cucamonga.
During the 1970s, Alta Loma, Etiwanda, and Cucamonga experienced massive growth due to Los Angeles and Orange County families seeking affordable housing. The 3 communities incorporated in 1977 as the City of Rancho Cucamonga.
Do you remember Frank Zappa?
He was arrested in Studio Z which was located where? In Rancho Cucamonga. Undercover San Bernardino County Sheriff's officers offered to pay Zappa to make a "racy" audio tape. He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to produce pornography.
Has anyone seen the movie "Next Friday", sequel to popular "Friday" with Chris Tucker and Ice Cube? The film was supposedly set in Rancho Cucamonga, but in reality it was a set, built to look like the city.
It goes through the Inland Empire and also through Rancho Cucamonga (as Foothill Boulevard). One of the buildings of the old Route 66 days that can be still seen in Rancho is an old gas station from the 1920's. Gotta go there one day and take a picture. A little bit further down the road there's an old house and in the front yard you will see lot's of huge dinosaurs. There are for sale but you need big money ;)
- Pros:safest major city in the Inland Empire, skiing, hiking, desert and ocean sports within 1 or 2 hour drive
Victoria Gardens was opened in October 2004 and is the new outside shopping mall in Rancho. It is not only a place to... more travel advice
Baked Lasagna, a piece of mudpie as dessert more travel advice
Mandy23's Related Pages
Rancho Cucamonga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Rancho Cucamonga~Route 66"
- "City of Rancho Cucamonga"
- "In Rancho Monday through Friday"
- "Rancho Cucamonga - Southern California"
- "Among Gusts, Cucamonga!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rancho Cucamonga
- Transportation in Rancho Cucamonga
- Restaurants in Rancho Cucamonga
- Shopping in Rancho Cucamonga
- Warnings and Dangers in Rancho Cucamonga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rancho Cucamonga
- 34 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Rancho Cucamonga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rancho Cucamonga
Photos in Rancho CucamongaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 73 reviews, 83 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 18 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 16 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 25 reviews, 16 photos
- Rancho Cucamonga Intro, 34 reviews, 7 photos
- Friedersdorf Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Norway Intro, 11 reviews, 27 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cologne 19 reviews, 18 photos
- Königs Wusterhausen Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos