"Nizhny Novgorod (ex-Gorky)" Top 5 Page for this destination Nizhniy Novgorod by Lalique
Nizhniy Novgorod Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 330 photos
A bit of history...
Nizhny Novgorod was founded on the confluence of the two great Russian rivers - the Volga and the Oka - by Prince Yuri (George) Vsevolodovich in 1221 as a strong standpoint of defending the Russian frontiers from Mordvinians, Cheremisians and Tatars.
The City got its name "Nizhny" may be because of its location on the "Lower" lands comparing with Novgorod the Great or with the so called "Old Little Town" that was situated four versts up the Oka-river, the record of which could be found in literature till the beginning of the 17th century.
After the 1917 Revolution the city was renamed after Maxim Gorky, a Russian/Soviet writer. He was born and raised in this city. Gorky was his pseudonym, means "bitter" inRussian, hinting on how life tasted in post revolutionary Russia.
In the begining of 1990s the city wa brought back its historic name.
I went to Nizhny for a weekend, so haven't seen the city in too many details but am ready to share my impressions...
BOAT TRIP Take a boat trip which lasts about 1,5-2 hrs, a boat goes both along Volga and Oka rivers. Nice view on the... more travel advice
CHKALOV STAIRCASE Great view form the top over the rivers' delta. Nice walking. On the top behind Chkalov statue there... more travel advice
Lalique's Related Pages
Nizhniy Novgorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "an interesting place to go"
- "Last stop before Moscow (for me) on the Trans SRR"
- "The Birth Place of Russia"
- "Nizhny Novgorod (ex-Gorky)"
- "Oka and Volga meets eachother"
- "Nizhney Novgorad, or formerly known as Gorky"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Hotels in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Transportation in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Nightlife in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Restaurants in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Shopping in Nizhniy Novgorod
- Warnings and Dangers in Nizhniy Novgorod
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nizhniy Novgorod
- 8 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Nizhniy Novgorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nizhniy Novgorod
Photos in Nizhniy NovgorodSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 44 reviews, 43 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Velikiy Novgorod Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Kuskovo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Brussels Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Madrid Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Tampere Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos