"Velikiy Novgorod" Top 5 Page for this destination Velikiy Novgorod by Lalique
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 244 photos
The emblem of Novgorod was approved on August 27, 1781. Discription: On the silver field there is a golden chair with red pillow, on wich crosswise scepter stands to the right and cross to the left. Above the chair there is a candlestik with tree burning candles, and there are two bares stand at each side. In the blue part of the shield there are two silver fishes.%/b
In chronicals the first mentioning of Novgorod dates back to 859, thus it considers to be the most ancient city in Russian Federation. Novgorod means Novy Gorod, ie New City, Though there is still no common oppionion among history researchers with respect to which "old" city Novgorod bacame "new" one.
Novgorod is famous for it twice was the cradel of Russian State system. First in 882, when headed by prince Oleg Novgorodian-Varangian army made a campaign to the South, along Lovatiya and Dnepr, having subdued Kiev and other Eastern slavic cities based on the great tading way " From Varangian to Greeks". According to Oleg's will not Novgorod but Kiev became the capitol of Old Russian state - Kiev Russia. And Novgorod was doomed to bacome the biggest city-fortress on the North-West of Russia.
Novgorod, which luckly escaped the tragedy of devastation by Tatars, ranks one of the 1st places in culture history, 'coz it retained alot of memorials of writing, architecture, arts, applied art of XI-XIII centuries.
We stayed in 4* Beresta which claims to be the best hotel on the way between Moscow and St. Pete. It belongs to Best... more travel advice
Lalique's Related Pages
Velikiy Novgorod Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Velikiy Novgorod"
- "More than 1000 years old city"
- "Novgorod the Great"
- "Novgorod, an attractive city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Velikiy Novgorod
- Hotels in Velikiy Novgorod
- Transportation in Velikiy Novgorod
- Nightlife in Velikiy Novgorod
- Restaurants in Velikiy Novgorod
- Shopping in Velikiy Novgorod
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Velikiy Novgorod
- 25 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Velikiy Novgorod?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Velikiy Novgorod
Photos in Velikiy NovgorodSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 44 reviews, 43 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Velikiy Novgorod Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Kuskovo Intro, 19 reviews, 21 photos
- Brussels Intro, 19 reviews, 19 photos
- Madrid Intro, 17 reviews, 17 photos
- Maastricht Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Toledo Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Tampere Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos