Easter Island Shopping Tips by wadekorzan
Easter Island Shopping: 16 reviews and 18 photos
Leo modeling the fabrics
Walking around Hanga Roa, you will find lots of small places selling fabrics with typical Easter Island motivs on them. These fabrics are inexpensive and are handmade, and make great souvenirs or gifts for people back home. They are not heavy, they are easy to pack, and they are unique. We especially liked the fabrics showing the "Birdman of Orongo".
Leo in the supermarket
Hanga Roa is such a small village, if there is another supermarket besides the one in the picture, we didn't find it. However, we had a really interesting experience talking to the lady who runs the small supermarket and also to one of the customers (well, the only customer, in fact). Only about 4 people actually fit in the supermarket at a time, but it was intersting to see what is available and also, it was another chance to speak with the locals.
It turns out that the customer with whom we spoke had a niece working as an airlne hostess on Lan Chile. After talking to her and explaining that we would be going on to Tahiti with Lan Chile, so told us she would have her niece take good care of us on the flight. Then we said our goodbyes. Some days later when we were seated on the plane to Tahiti, the airline hostess came and introduced herself as the niece of the lady with whom we spoke, and she was so nice and we had some great conversations about life on the island. She made a point of saying good bye to us when we arrived in Tahiti, and then some days later, when we were flting back to Santiago from Tahiti, we had to stop again in Easter Island. Again, the niece came to us in the airport and again we had a nice long conversation while waiting for our flight. It was a great cultural exchange and it all came about because we had gone to the supermarket!
What to buy: WATER, AND LOTS OF IT!!!!
Theme: Food and Drink
More Reviews (19)
- See All Many of the Moai have fallen
- See All LanChile's luggage policy
- See All The former dwellings at Orongo
wadekorzan's Related Pages
Easter Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easter Island - Rapa Nui"
- "Easter Island and the Stone Heads"
- "Mysteries and moai"
- "Rapa Nui - a very special feeling"
- "Easter Island - The Most Remote Frontier On Earth"
- "An Island of Legend, Beauty, and Mystery"
- "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Easter Island
- Hotels in Easter Island
- Transportation in Easter Island
- Nightlife in Easter Island
- Restaurants in Easter Island
- Shopping in Easter Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Easter Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Wausau Hotels
- Esparza Hotels
- Tullamarine Hotels
- Ashtarak Hotels
- Montelupo Fiorentino
- Cape Kaliakra
Badges & Stats in Easter Island
- 21 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Easter Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Easter Island
- Posted in Travel Austria Forum "Cesky Krumlov, yes yes yes!"
- updated a Easter Island Travel Page "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- Wrote a Review Many of the Moai have fallen in Easter Island Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Be respectful of the Ahu"
- Commented on one of leostarico's Easter Island travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 105 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 75 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Easter Island Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 20 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sint Maarten Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos