Easter Island Transportation Tips by wadekorzan
Easter Island Transportation: 44 reviews and 65 photos
Rent a jeep
You can take tours of different areas of the island, and this probably would be very interesting if you would like to be with someone (a local) to take you to the highlights and to explain all of the background about the Moai, etc. However, your time may be limited at each stop because it is a tour, so I still do recommend renting a car to get out and do some exploration o your own.
You can rent cars from any of the hotels, but this is a little more expensive. There are quite a few small places right in the village of Hanga Rpa where you can rent cars, mostly jeeps, and you can also rent motor scooters. Because of the terrain and sometimes sudden heavy downpours, I recommend a jeep.
Type: Car/Motor Home
The airport, from the outside
Getting to Easter Island is not easy by any means. There is only one airline, LanChile, that serves the island, and they only fly a couple of times a week. Generally the flights go Santiago-Easter Island-Tahiti, so you might consider doing what we did---combining a rip to the island with a trip to Polynesia. Flight prices are expensive as well, so you may wish to xonsdier looking into a package deal offered by Lan Chile or a travel agency in Santiago. They can set you up with a flight, hotel, and trasnportation for a better price than you would get if you arranged everything yourself.
Landing on Easter Island is quite an experience. We circled and circled and when we finally went to land, we descended very very rapidly and it looked like we were going to plunge into the ocean. The runway starts on one end of the island and ends on the other side, so you have corssed the whole island just doing your landing. However, that's because the runway is at the narrow end of the island.....
The airport is small....very very small!
More Reviews (19)
- See All Many of the Moai have fallen
- See All LanChile's luggage policy
- See All The former dwellings at Orongo
wadekorzan's Related Pages
Easter Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easter Island - Rapa Nui"
- "Easter Island and the Stone Heads"
- "Mysteries and moai"
- "Rapa Nui - a very special feeling"
- "Easter Island - The Most Remote Frontier On Earth"
- "An Island of Legend, Beauty, and Mystery"
- "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Easter Island
- Hotels in Easter Island
- Transportation in Easter Island
- Nightlife in Easter Island
- Restaurants in Easter Island
- Shopping in Easter Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Easter Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Seven Sisters Hotels
- Tapachula Hotels
- Jinghong Hotels
- McCalla Hotels
- Wojewodztwo Malopolskie
- Castellana Grotte
Badges & Stats in Easter Island
- 21 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Easter Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Easter Island
- Posted in Travel Austria Forum "Cesky Krumlov, yes yes yes!"
- updated a Easter Island Travel Page "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- Wrote a Review Many of the Moai have fallen in Easter Island Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Be respectful of the Ahu"
- Commented on one of leostarico's Easter Island travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 105 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 75 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Easter Island Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 20 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sint Maarten Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos