"La Plata, capital of Buenos Aires Province" La Plata by wadekorzan
La Plata Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 89 photos
La Plata is about 60 KM south of Buenos Aires, or about an hour by car or bus. Buenos Aires is the capital of Argentina and lies in a federal district, like Washington DC. Around the city of Buenos Aires, you find the PROVINCE of Buenos Aires, of which La Plata is the capital. The city has about 225,000 inhabitants.
Compared to Buenos Aires, La Plata is a relatively young city, having been founded only in 1882. However, the center is quite grand, with a street design by Benoit, similar to that of Washington DC that connects the most important buildings with broad avenues and diagonals.
The highlight of the city is perhaps the Museum of Natural Sciences, with a very large and interesting paleontology section. However, the city center also has some very nice architecture like the grand cathedral, the city hall, the legislature, and the government house.
If you have seen alot of Buenos Aires and would like to see something else close and easily accessible from the capital, La Plata would be an easy day trip.
We followed the advice of Lonely Planet and sought out this place to have lunch. Though it's really nothing too special,... more travel advice
The government house (Casa Gobierno in Spanish) is yet another very beautiful building, done however in the Flemish... more travel advice
wadekorzan's Related Pages
La Plata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Viaje al pasado"
- "La Plata, capital of Buenos Aires Province"
- " LA PLATA "
- "BUENOS AIRES: BEAUTY AND GRAFFITI"
- "La Plata - The Silver"
- "Young - Young people all around..."
- "LA PLATA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Plata
- Hotels in La Plata
- Transportation in La Plata
- Nightlife in La Plata
- Restaurants in La Plata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Plata
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to La Plata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Plata
Photos in La PlataSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stockholm Intro, 105 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 75 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Koblenz Intro, 25 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moorea Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Easter Island Intro, 21 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mykonos Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos
- Chile Intro, 16 reviews, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swaziland Intro, 20 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sint Maarten Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos