Manila Local Custom Tips by D._Pepper Top 5 Page for this destination
Manila Local Customs: 99 reviews and 187 photos
St. Andrew Facade
This is how the church looks from outside.
St. Andrew the Apostle Church
Well, fairly modern, anyway. This is the interior of the Saint Andrew the Apostle Church in Bel Air, Makati City.
San Agustin Church
San Agustin (Saint Augustine) is inside Intramuros, the old Walled City. I can't remember the exact date, but this church was built in the 1600's. Of course, it's been rebuilt a couple of times, but it retains a lot of its history to make a trip to this old church a must for tourists. There is a museum in a separate building to the side of the church.
San Agustin Pulpit
Many churches in Manila were built to accomodate long "sermons" given from pulpits. Many people listen to these "sermons" or homilies during Sunday service, but most doze off after a while. Maybe that's because they are no longer delivered from these ornate pulpits where the priest would definitely catch inattentive parishioners! :o)
San Agustin Church ceiling
Inside churches, that is... This is the ceiling inside San Agustin Church. Not quite the Sistine Chapel, but beautiful just the same.
Filipinos are a smiley lot. Even during religious festivals. You can take as many pictures as you want of people. Just remember to smile, smile, smile. :o)
This was taken inside San Agustin Church - the oldest surviving Catholic Church in Manila. Built in the 1600's.
Binondo Church Interiors
Churches can be more interesting from inside. People won't mind your taking pictures of the interiors and of them. Just be discreet, quiet, and smile when you do make eye contact with the church goers.
Good Friday Procession
Processions are a big thing during the lenten season, peaking on Easter Sunday. You could head for the province (San Fernando de Cutud) where actual crucifixions are held. For the faint of heart, maybe a run of the mill procession like this one in Intramuros will do. :o)
Locals visit at least seven churches on Holy Thursday and Good Friday before Easter. If you're in town and want to feel some of the local flavor, this is a must do. Some churches are architecturally beautiful, and seeing the parade of people church hopping is very interesting!
Malling. Manila is one super mall after another. One of the biggest - if not the biggest - is SM Megamall on EDSA in Ortigas Center. You can spend a whole day inside Megamall without wanting to leave it, nor needing to. It has hundreds of specialty shops, restaurants, cinemas, art galleries, medical and dental clinics, name it, you'll probably find it - inside Megamall. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
Megamall is the white building complex shown in the photo - Buildings A & B. San Miguel (the beer) Corporation is headquartered in the building shown in the foreground, and another huge mall - the Robinson's Galleria - is about two big blocks past the twin towers you see in the background.
More Reviews (32)
D._Pepper's Related Pages
Manila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mabuhay, Welcome to Manila!"
- "Capital of the Philippines"
- "Aliwan Fiesta 2011: Ilonggo's Pride and Victory"
- "Love It Or Leave It..."
- "Capital City of the Philippines"
- "IMPREXXION: MANILA"
- "What can you say about a town like Manila?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manila
- Hotels in Manila
- Transportation in Manila
- Nightlife in Manila
- Restaurants in Manila
- Shopping in Manila
- Warnings and Dangers in Manila
- See All...
Explore the World
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hotels
- Little Talbot Island State Park Hotels
- Mihintale Hotels
- Heraklion Hotels
- Puerto Natales
Badges & Stats in Manila
- 42 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 46 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Manila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manila
- Posted in Travel Manila Forum "Re: Re: Question for the..."
- Wrote a Review Celebrating Independence Day about People/Local Culture in Manila Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Celebrating Independence Day"
- updated a Manila Travel Page "Capital City of the Philippines"
- Commented on one of herzog63's Manila travel pages
Photos in ManilaSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manila Intro, 42 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philippines Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Francisco Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 10 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laoag City Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Heidelberg Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Czech Republic Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Province of Pampanga Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (17)
Latest Manila hotel reviews
- Somerset Millenium
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Asian Mansion II
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Hyatt Regency Manila
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Manila Bay Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 13, 2013
- New Hotel Miramar
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- Casa Bocobo Hotel
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Orchid Garden Suites
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Royal Bellagio Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- The Garden Heights Condotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2012
- Kimberly Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- BSA Mansion Condotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- 1775 Adriatico Suites
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Nichols Airport Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Pearl Lane Hotel
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Intramuros- 117 Reviews, 228 Photos
- Manila Bay- 36 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Chinatown- 14 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Luneta- 25 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Makati- 26 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Malls- 33 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Malate- 15 Reviews, 17 Photos
- City Scene- 25 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Manila American Cemetery- 10 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Paco Park- 4 Reviews, 7 Photos