"Extremadura, past to underestand!!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Extremadura by zumodemango
Extremadura Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 950 photos
This is my first trip to Extremadura but i can't promise is not the last one!!! Many things to do, to visit, to enjoy. Full of contrast since the Roman ruins in Merida till Guadalupe Monastery in the middle of the mountains, through medieval city Caceres and Trujillo full of palaces and churches!!!!!
next trip to Extremadura: Valle del Jerte (when the cherry blossons will be flowered)and Womad in May to Caceres.........
TO BE CONTINUED!
knowing Extremadura in its oficial web(in many languagues)
Extremadura is situated in the Sothwest of Spain. The history of Extremadura is so long and i don't want to extend myself in complex explanations here (check in travel tips and travelogues)but there are 2 important facts of the history in this part of Spain:
Emerita Augusta (Merida) was one of the capitals of the 3 Spanish Provinces in the Roman Empire, Hispania.
The first people who lived in Emerita Augusta were the veteran soldiers who fighted agaist the tribes in the North of the peninsula. Augusto decided to impel the city to make richer the poorest of the three Roman provinces(Lusitania) in Hispania.
The second fact was the discovery of America centuries later. Most of the conquers in the New World were from Extremadura: Vasco Nuñez de Balboa(discovered the Pacific Ocean), Hernan Cortes(Mexico), Pedro de Valdibia(Chile).Only from Trujillo 600 men went to America: Orellana(discovered the Amazonas), Pizarro(fighted agaist the incas, conquerer of Peru).
- Pros:There is too much history to learn!!!!!!
- Cons:food is wonderful!!!!
- In a nutshell:can't be missed!
It is a bar at night, with nice music. It's a bakery and shop on teh other side. Nice ambience adn decoration. more travel advice
This was the star of the places we slept in Extremadura. It was a recomendetation of my dentist's nurse, who was here.... more travel advice
zumodemango's Related Pages
Extremadura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Extremadura, past to underestand!!!!"
- "Extreme and Hard"
- "EXTREMADURA 2001"
- "The hidden spanish treasure"
- "Tapas Are a Must"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Extremadura
- Hotels in Extremadura
- Transportation in Extremadura
- Nightlife in Extremadura
- Restaurants in Extremadura
- Shopping in Extremadura
- Warnings and Dangers in Extremadura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Extremadura
- 20 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Extremadura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Extremadura
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 63 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ladakh Range Intro, 30 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Agra Intro, 37 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Petra Intro, 24 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Jordan Intro, 19 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Extremadura Intro, 20 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues