"Dachau concentration camp" Dachau by Patje
Dachau Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 479 photos
Established in March 1933, the Dachau concentration camp was the first regular concentration camp established by the National Socialist (Nazi) government. Heinrich Himmler, in his capacity as police president of Munich, officially described the camp as "the first concentration camp for political prisoners." It was located on the grounds of an abandoned munitions factory near the northeastern part of the town of Dachau, about 10 miles northwest of Munich in southern Germany.
In total, over 200,000 prisoners from more than 30 countries were housed in Dachau of whom two-thirds were political prisoners and nearly one-third were Jews. 25,613 prisoners are believed to have died in the camp and almost another 10,000 in its subcamps, primarily from disease, malnutrition and suicide. In early 1945, there was a typhus epidemic in the camp followed by an evacuation, in which large numbers of the weaker prisoners died.
The Dachau camp was a training center for SS concentration camp guards, and the camp's organization and routine became the model for all Nazi concentration camps. The camp was divided into two sections--the camp area and the crematoria area. The camp area consisted of 32 barracks, including one for clergy imprisoned for opposing the Nazi regime and one reserved for medical experiments.
Patje's Related Pages
Dachau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dachau: the beginning of the end"
- "To Honor the Dead, and to Remind the Living"
- "dachau germany"
- "The former SS concentration camp"
- "Dachau, even the name evokes horror..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dachau
- Hotels in Dachau
- Transportation in Dachau
- Nightlife in Dachau
- Restaurants in Dachau
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dachau
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dachau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachau
Photos in DachauSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Trenta Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mizpe Ramon Intro, 5 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kortrijk Intro, 50 photos, 9 travelogues
- Solda Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arnhem Intro, 1 review, 38 photos, 5 travelogues
- Belgium Intro, 37 photos, 7 travelogues
- Solcava Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Gorjuse Intro, 32 photos, 5 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 10 reviews, 21 photos, 4 travelogues
- Stara Fuzina Intro, 1 review, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Dachau hotel reviews
- Hotel Gotz
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013