"Do you see much of China in Shanghai??? not really" Shanghai by Audrey118
Shanghai Travel Guide: 3,044 reviews and 8,029 photos
So much has changed in Shanghai since my last visit during year 2001. It is just amazing, how the city has grew in full gear. I would say Shanghai economic growth be in double digit, I am concern when the bubble will burst!!!!
While in Shanghai, you will be in the midst of dizzying skyscrapers, sandwiched by impressive old-Shanghai buildings (which have now turned into either hotels or restaurants) and umpteen tunnels, and elevated highways...
And the amount of mega shopping malls and entertainment outlets sprouting out, just simply put Hong Kong, Singapore and my home country Malaysia to shame.
Have you been to one single shopping mall in HK, Spore or Msia that houses only top notch labels...yes, they have it in Shanghai Plaza 66 which has Burberry neighbouring to Chanel, sides to Hermes to Prada to Dior...only the top labels. And the sleekiest LV shops!!! They even have a Lalique and Luiligongfang store to neighbour Wedgewood...now who are the shopppers???
An evening night out to Hengshan Road, and to the Xintandi is almost like heaven on earth to clubbers!!! It puts to my homecity Kuala Lumpur's Bangsar to a shame!!! Glittery lights, water features and each and every restaurant decking to the tops to attarct the many expats and tourist to their outlets. Here I managed to meet one top French chocolatier, Perez in his small quiant outlet, Visage...a man who is voted No 2 handmade chocolate maker.
Shanghai has many many great eating places and i realised lots of HongKong folks fly there for a short weekend to dine and wine. aaah - it is a good 5 hours flight from Kuala Lumpur...if it was only a mere 2 hours flight - i be there every now and then for a gourmet trip!!!
Be sure to sample some of the WOW eyebrow raising restaurants at the
Three on the Bund along Guandong Road facing the Bund. Here you will get to have acclaimed chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten at great prices...try their degustation menu. And also some of the many Aussie chefs now making headlines in Shanghai like M on the Bund or Laris.
I also enjoy best Chinese modern Shanghainese food by J Leung at Whampoa Club... but hey - i am also a sucker for their local food like their famed dumplings along Nanjing lu (not too far from the Four Seasons) and the famous slowed cooked pork. And also the doughy strips of noodles eaten with pickles and also pork chop !!!!aaah what a gourmet life in Shanghai.
You can be treated to operas, musicals etc, just keep a look out on magazines for update. While I was in Shanghai Feb 2005, A Lloyd's Phantom of the Opera was playing.
And the Shanghai Museum is highly recommendable, esplly if you have couple of hours, and patience to listen through the audio visual infors. It is an amazing museum which many many of the artifacts DONATED by Overseas Chinese.
And if you are looking for some bargains, head off to Xiangyáng open market for designer wannabes, or to Fúyòu Antiques Market/Cáng Bao Lóu which is not tooo far from Yuyuan Gardens...you be amazed by the buying and selling of old-new stuff.Not forgetting to shop for best best Chinese tea...ibot some very nice fragrant Jasmine tea which has awesome exotic flowers tied in the Jasmine flower bulb... opens beautifully once immersed into hot water.....
- Pros:the food, the partying, the spas, the old Shanghai charm,
- Cons:taxis not enough for the 15 mln population and many many tourists
This picture is the reverse of earlier tip which i was standing at the bright natural light. The yellow lighted ways are... more travel advice
The restaurant is HUGE - we went to the one near Hong qiao. Getting there from the city, was far.... they have several... more travel advice
Audrey118's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 45 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
- Posted in Travel Como Forum "Re: Brunate"
- updated a Shanghai Travel Page "Do you see much of China in Shanghai??? not really"
- Commented on one of we2364's Shanghai travel pages
- Wrote a Review From Grand Hyatt Lounge looking up to the top in Shanghai Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Grand Hyatt Lounge looking up to the top"
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
Latest Shanghai hotel reviews
- Shanghai LA Residence
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- Jin Jiang Hotel
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Jin Jiang Tower
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Shanghai JC Mandarin
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Shanghai Shenzhou Hotel, China
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- The Bund Riverside Hotel
- 224 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- Rayfont Shanghai Celebrity Hotel & Apartments Shanghai
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Bodi Boutique Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Jinjiang Inn Shanghai Bund
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Dongding Hotel Shanghai
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Shanghai Lianyang
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013