"A tiny tip for the French in New Zealand" Akaroa by Audrey118
Akaroa Travel Guide: 251 reviews and 628 photos
Do you see the French Flag pole...well it was not the best day to take a handsome flag - it was a rainy day...nevertheless my point is to take this tricolour flag fluttering in a New Zealand village!!
The village of Akaroa is only a 90 mins coach ride from Christchurch. we paid a mere 40 NZD return, and you can also stay over - there are plenty of accomodation on offer.
The French arrived in 1840, making Akaroa the oldest town in the Canterbury. You will see lots of French words all over the town; streets in French, restaurants, cafes and hotels etc.
On the other hand there is the English and Scottish who started the Barrys Bay Traditional Cheese who have been making mild and soft cheese over the century.
And Akaroa is also a place to see amazing widllife, as the protected harbour is home to the world's smallest mammal, the Hector dolphins.
- Pros:great for day trip or an overnight
Audrey118's Related Pages
Akaroa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Magic World of Banks Peninsula and Akaroa"
- "Akaroa: New Zealand's early French settlement"
- "The blissfuly beautiful Banks Peninsula"
- "ATXtraveler goes to Akaroa"
- "Akaroa & Banks Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akaroa
- Hotels in Akaroa
- Transportation in Akaroa
- Nightlife in Akaroa
- Restaurants in Akaroa
- Shopping in Akaroa
- Warnings and Dangers in Akaroa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akaroa
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Akaroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akaroa
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos