"A wonderful weekend at Cliffedge, Opua" Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands by Audrey118
Bay of Islands Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 263 photos
My girlfriend wanted to spend her birthday away from her home in Melbourne, and decidedly chose New Zealand. Smacked right in the easter weekend, we all took our flights to Auckland ( i had a 10-odd hours flight), and with hired cars took the loooong bumper to bumper drive to Bay of Islands.
It was Good Friday and many locals and tourist alike too on the motorway to the penisulars for holidays. We only stopped for lunch
and to our amazement the fish and chips from a local chain LJ proved so sumptous we swear to have it on our way back!!!
we discovered Cliffedge through my forum posting - thanks to bjoern.
Our host and hostess were Peter and Glennis Meier together with their young daughter, Elsa.
Peter n his family used to run restaurant in Sydney's Hunter Valley and Peter was also the food contributor for 19 years with Sydney's Sundy Telegraph.
In the picture, I am not sure if you can see a brown wooden lodge - that is Cliffedge. The 4 levels lodge has unparalleled vierw of the sea, and faces into Russel. This picture was taken when we were crossing on the car ferry from Opua to Russel.
The room rates came with a gourmet breakfast and dinner is at NZD100. We enjoyed all our meals there.
In the follow up of the tips, you will get to see more pictures of the lodge, and the yummy food....
We enjoyed the lodge so much, that we did not even want to spend too much time outside it. We only get out for short trips to the chocolate factory, Makana and also to Russel.
- Pros:Just sit back and enjoy the view, the food and the great hospitality at Cliffedge
- Cons:We hated our trip to Russels - people there are so rude!!!
The shop front was designed by famous Austrian architect who spent his last 20 years of his life in NZ. Otherwise the... more travel advice
Typical Mosaic and cobblestone used... more travel advice
Audrey118's Related Pages
Bay of Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Playground of the North"
- "A wonderful weekend at Cliffedge, Opua"
- "A Bit of Paradise"
- "A week in waterland"
- "Bay of Islands - summertime holiday capital!"
- "Bay of Islands"
- "Bay of Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bay of Islands
- Hotels in Bay of Islands
- Transportation in Bay of Islands
- Restaurants in Bay of Islands
- Shopping in Bay of Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bay of Islands
- 48 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bay of Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bay of Islands
Photos in Bay of IslandsSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos