"My Best friend's Home" Melbourne by Audrey118

Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,377 reviews and 7,601 photos

It just grows on you

I never bother to frequent Melbourne while I was a student in Sydney during the 1980s. I thought Melbourne was too old fashioned - conservative, and too cold and gloomy for my liking while Sydney was cosmopolitan, has a heart beat n seemed to have more life and everything to offer.

But since returning to Australia for holidays, I have grown to be very fond of Melbourne. Yes like how Vt'er Keeweechic said - It Grows On You!!!

I have to say though, you can experience 4 seaons within the day in Melbourne. It could be overcast early in the day, and turn nice and sunny before noon,...and the next thing it will rain and be extremely cold!!!

Melbourne is much smaller than Sydney, more organised street due to its terrain. It has lots of interesting restaurants to offer. They also have the best chocolates for sale, Haigs which comes from Adelaide and for no reason I cannot see why they are not available in Sydney.

You can see a lot of Melbourne city on the City Circle Tram,

Outside Melbourne there is lots to offer - perhaps down the Great Ocean Road to the see London Bridge, 12 (11) Apostle,

Grampians,

to Dandenong Ranges, Healesville to see animals and the Ricket Sanctuary to see odd sculptures - a bit spookie

to Daylesford, Hepburn spas and spring water and best lamb sausages and fresh trout in Smeaton, Tuki

to see ferry penguins at Phillip Island,

or go to the seaside towns along the Mornington Peninsular and of course to the wineries.

The picture below is Larry in the city along Collins - whom I think is a dog - but weird nose - more like a pig's!!!

A very short trip to Melbourne - Jul 2004

This year is a mad travel year...I bought cheap tickets to Melbourne during the annual Malaysian airline fair - it was such a steal that I could not resist.

With only 5 days - I needed to jam pack all the things I wanted to see and do and eat...

This trip we went to Daylesford, back to Springmount Pottery, Convent Garden etc. Of course we had to go back to Smeaton to Tuki for their famous fresh trout, and it was even more special during winter, with the trout cooked in the open fire.

New visiting place for me was to Geelong, esplly after seeing pics of the Bollards on Vt pages...so we went to see some 20 - odd Bollards, of the 104 painted wooden sculptures around the Corio Bay which actually tell the history of Geelong.

Chocolate Addict

I believe in Melbourne there are lots of good chocolate shops....ok it is nothing to compare with Belgium France or even Spain..but there are some nice chocolates to have while in Melbourne.

The Jul 2004 trip saw me hunting down some new choc places...

Max Brenner chocolate by the Bald Man t the QV square - this place is awesome... I looove their drinking chocolate - so fashionable!!! great place to be

Haigs long Swansto St - a place i am terribly fond of the round chocolate balls studded with a whole macadamia. And this trip I discovered their very delicious drinking chocolate powder which I will use to sprinkle on tiramisu!!

Cacao at St Kilda - great for their molded chocolate - very fancy looking chocolates and yum desserts.

Koko Black at the Royal Arcade where you can watch young men making chocolates.

Food addict - should know there are lots of great food - fusion, cheap and cheerful pies and sausage rolls, Vietnamese noddles and rolls, great seafood, Chinese dim sum, Greek food - lots of fun in Melbourne. and lots of craft to buy as well...go to the St Kilda marks

• Pros:Action packed if you take the initiative
  • Cons:Horrible unperdictable weather
  • In a nutshell:Melbourne - if you take time and look around - so much to do
  • Intro Updated Jul 21, 2004

• mtaiwai's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 12:00 AM

mmm...salivating descriptions on Phuoc Thanh. Will definitely check it out the next time i'm there. seems quite easy to find.

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 3:58 AM

Lol...really enjoy the food and weather . Oh Kutna Hora has got a church which was built entirely by human bones ..spooky ...nope tak pergi Budapest lah..looking forward to Moscow & St Petersburg ..need tips lah ..

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 7:52 AM

Good information on Melbourne, very useful, thanks

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2003 at 6:05 AM

Audrey, your contributions to VT on anywhere are superb, visually and written. So well done. Sadly Arthur's Seat Chairlift partly collapsed early '03. Still out ! Laurie.

• shivan's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2003 at 12:26 AM

excellent information here! Thanks!

• cobrioc's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 7:10 PM

spectacular VT

• Scotsgal's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2003 at 2:53 PM

I like your info about Melbourne.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2003 at 2:48 PM

You seemed to love Melbourne's multicultural cuisine. Very good page.

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2003 at 5:37 AM

wow, excellent page and travelogues!!!

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2003 at 5:38 PM

Wow, somebody has been to my town!! I didn't think any tourists visited Creswick, except on the way to somewhere else..to find the way OUT of town LOL. I must try some of your Restaurant tips!

Audrey118

“next stop - Stockholm and Riga”

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne