Bangkok Shopping Tips by Audrey118
Bangkok Shopping: 853 reviews and 1,040 photos
CUstom Office - Bangkok Airport
WHO claims VAT -
* If you were in Thailand less than 180 days in a year;
* not a crew member;
* leaves Thaialnd on plane from International airport.
HOW to shop and get VAT-
* Shop in stores with VAT refund for tourist sign;
* Spend at least 2000 THB per store and per day.... and make sure the VAT refund form is filled on that day....it is DAY by DAY system
* To make a claim at the airport, the total purchase must exceed 5000 THB (total of all shopping entiteld to VAT claims)
* Present PASSPORT and completed VAT form and it must be stamped and properly documented at each of the store DAYby DAY purchases. If you did not claim yesterday and try to get the form filled the following day - then too bad!
What to buy: The picture is the CUSTOM OFFICE at the Bangkok airport - please go there...it is immediately near the MAS counter....but look out for them..they may have several CUSTOM OFFICEs in the terminal. We were at terminal one....just go in there, BEFORE you checkin and show yours goodeis, and the compelted VAT form (PP10) and tax invoices to the Custom officers.
What to pay: You cannot claim on GEM Stones
VAT refund office
After the custom inspection, checkin at your flight row, and you can put your goodies into the luggage for check in as well ...and get your boarding pass, then buy your departure tax (500 THB cash each) just before you get to the immigration control.
Then after the control, go to the VAT refund office...it is on the right...towards gate 40s and above...and have ample time to claim. They pay you in cash if the refund is not more than 30,000 THB, but if more, they will credit to your account.
For the cash refund, they charge 100 THB fee.
For a bank draft refund they charbe 100 THB fee abd also other draft fees at the rate charged by banks and postage fee
and for credit to credit card refund they also charge a fee of 100 THB and money transfer fee and postage charges etc.
What to buy: Allo adequate time at the airport to get your refund. I just hate all those who leave it last minute nearing departure time, and then cursing at tall the officers...i think the tourist s themselves are so so rude.
The officers at the Custom Office are usually very friendly. You are however reminded never to be rude to them...there is a signage there telling you if you want to complain write in...and it is an offence to be rude to them. They will go through the document PP10 and tax invoices,, stamp them, and inspect your goods.
What to buy: The custom office are at near row 9 and row 3 and 4.
5% discount coupon
If you are a tourist and shopping in the departmental store, you should get to the Customer Service section of the departmental stores such as ISetan, Emproium. Sogo etc and get this coupon thing...you have to show them your international passport to get teh coupon. It entitles you to 5 pct discount on regular priced items...such a saving on top of the VAT refund at the airport.
Theme: Department Store
multi sotrey shop with designer outlets around it. But many Thai stuff to buy - mens shirts etc and children clothing excellent
first thing before you shop go to the customer service and get the Tourist Discount coupon - 5 pct on all items not on discount...you need a passport to proof as tourist.
Buy more than 2000 baht each day, and get the VAT claim Day By Day - on the level one just outside the girls dept store...near Prada shop I think
Address: get off at Phrom Phong BTS station -
Theme: Department Store
The Surawong shop has been there for more than 20-30 or more years...it is the main shops - very nice, well presented shop...multi levels. The first 2 is the most frequented, the last two is furnishing but they have a warehouse outlet for furnishing near On Nut (I think Sukhumvit Soi 93 or thereabout).
What to buy: quaranteed excellent quality - I rather pay the extra to be sure - also the prints are unqiue to JT shops.
It is cheaper in Bangkok than their branches other parts of the world - eg in Singapore 10-15 percent more.
lots of nice printed T shirts, lots of stuffed toys.
A nice cafe offering delicious food while wife is shopping!!! - i keep my husband happy there with cakes and ice cream and rice dishes!!!
What to pay: Thai silk blouse - 3/4 sleeves - 2800 THB
simple t-shirt with prints - 650 THB
men Thai silk long sleeve shirt - with lots of elephant prints - 3800 baht. .
I bought lots of small stuffed elephants in different positions around 400 baht.
Address: SURAWONG AND MANY OTHER OUTLETS
More Reviews (100)
- See All superb ambience
- See All Serviced Apartment
- See All Bang Pa-In Summer Palace
- See All River Cruise-from Marriott Hotel -...
Audrey118's Related Pages
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 106 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 129 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Grand Palace- 312 Reviews, 614 Photos
- Temple of the Dawn - Wat Arun- 165 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market -Daytrip- 114 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 110 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Daytrip - Ayuthaya- 63 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Wat Pho- 241 Reviews, 509 Photos
- Massage- 49 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 31 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Temple of the Golden Buddha - Wat Traimit- 63 Reviews, 126 Photos
- Patpong Night Market- 33 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do