"World Heritage - Batad Rice Terraces" Top 5 Page for this destination Batad by Audrey118

Batad Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 179 photos

Rice Terrace - Steps to Heaven!!!

Rice terraces can be seen in other parts of Asia - I have seen it in Ubud, Bali but nothing is as spectacular as these rice terraces in the north Luzon, Philippines. And at Batad, you see the best of the world!!!

Batad is not far from Banaue.
It is located in the Cordillera mountain region, north of Manila.

Here, the tribe people, the Ifugao took thousand of years to carve these steep steps on the mountain to farm their staple food, rice.

Vters d_pepper (Dante), heywinks (sonia) and myself, together with other friends, Alistair and Jeanine shared the jeepney with 3 other hotel guests to Batad.

A day earlier, the three other hotel guests (from Florida) had attempted to go to the junction some 1 odd hour ride from the hotel in a tricycle. But the road there was really bad they decided to axe their plans and instead spent time in Banaue

A closer view of the rice terrace

Here you see the original Ifugao thatch roof homes mingled with civilsation..the zinc roofed homes.

• Pros:Most spectacular rice terrace on earth, and very friendly locals.
  • Cons:slippery path and the hike.....aaaah bad bad for old lady me
  • In a nutshell:Go there while it still exist
  • Last visit to Batad: Oct 2003
  • Intro Written Nov 4, 2003

• asiantraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM

wow! the eighth wonder of the ancient world :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 6:05 PM

great page! Looks like a real adventure!

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 8:02 AM

Hi Audrey! I'm planning to visit Batad later this year, and I've really enjoyed reading your tips and photos - I'm looking forward to my trip. Hi from Boracay Island! : )

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2004 at 7:42 PM

Great page! Wonderful photos and very helpful information to go with them! Sounds and looks beautiful! Thanks :o)

• PeterSt's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2004 at 7:23 PM

Wonderful pics....just absolutely wonderful. I wish I could go back during spring when all is green. Was grey when I was there last time

• Dec 4, 2003 at 3:10 AM

You were sooo lucky to have travelled and trekked to the breathtaking Sagada Rice Terraces which still remains a dream for me!

• heywinks's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 5:08 AM

That was really good corned beef rice, Audrey! I'll have to post my photo when I get back to Japan. Ha ha ha...:)

• D._Pepper's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2003 at 6:10 AM

Great pages, Audrey! You'll have more pics a soon as I burn your images into a CD to send to you! You're a great travel companion!

• Nov 7, 2003 at 5:37 PM

I'm glad you love the trip you had recently in my country and specialy here in "Rice Terraces"..Dante must be a great host=)

Audrey118

“next stop - Stockholm and Riga”

Badges & Stats in Batad