"From Kuantan to Kuala Terengganu" Kampong Kemaman by Audrey118

Kampong Kemaman Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 36 photos

I fyou ever travel on the east coast highway from Kuantan towards Terengganu you will pass by this small viallage town called Kemaman.

We used to come by here for dinner when we had friends living in Kuantan. Uncle Krishnan would drive us for a wonderful meal in Kemaman. Along the stretch of Jalan Sulaimani there are many pre war Chinese shophouses. Most of the shops look the same, but Uncle Krish just know which one to head for. It was here that I tried one of the yummiest stuffed crab (altho I do make a American version of crabcakes and my mum has her version of stuffed crabs) but for a small town this is really yummy.

We went back to Kemaman when Uncle Krish was no longer with us, and could not figure out which restaurant. So we stumbled at one of the them - one mouthful we knew we got the wrong place. So we hang around till the other restaurant is opened (what pigs we can be) and then had our fill!!!

The place to go is Restoran Tong Juan and seriously between you and me - I ate about 3 of them, and my friends ate like 6 himslef...and they wanted more to take away!!!! On top of that if you are fortunate, the fisherman may have caught this wonderful red garoupa which has got a firm fish texture - ask for simple steam - it is really yummy.

After the dinner - you will see lots of stalls on the street - almost like a night market, but it is mainly the village folks that come here to sell local fruits, and some fried fritters - banana, yam etc.

even if you are staying at some of the resorts along Cherating - it is a mere short drive and lots of people know Tong Juan's stuffed crab!!! They are close on Fridays!!!!

If you drive further up, along the coast in the night - you will see fresh fire along the coast - like bunsen burners along the waters - they are our Malaysian oilfields!!!!

• Pros:worth coming here for the stuffed crab
  • Last visit to Kampong Kemaman: Nov 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2003

• Jun 14, 2006 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for your recommendation to Tong Juan Restuarant. My sis frm Singapore just went there upon reading your page. Tx for detail address on web and ..mmm.. sedap........

Audrey118

“next stop - Stockholm and Riga”

Badges & Stats in Kampong Kemaman

Have you been to Kampong Kemaman?

Latest Activity in Kampong Kemaman