"Sungei Petani - literally means Farmers' River" Top 5 Page for this destination Sungai Petani by Audrey118
Sungai Petani Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 209 photos
We took a flight to Penang, hired a car and head off to Sungei Petani where my husband's family now lives.
Sungei Petani is about 65 km from Penang Bayan Lepas airport; you have to cross the beautiful Penang Bridge to get back to mainland of the peninsular, and in a good day it should take about 30 minutes to reach.
There is however nothing very 'touristy' that would attract nonlocals to come by...even Malaysians would not even be bothered...but recently more interest is seen with the Lembah Bujang musuem which however pales to Thailand Ayutthaya ruins!...look out at my Kampung Bujang VT pages for pictures...
In Sungei Petani town - you will see remnants of British influence in the architecture; the clock tower, the bank buidling etc.
Other than that while we were driving to even smaller towns, the roads we were driving on cuts across lots of estates, plantations, which were once earth road, and were estates roads, build by the British to serve their estates routines.
It is an annual affair to visit up north for us...usually at this time of the year. The westerners would call our trip as All Souls Day, but Chinese mainly calls it tomb cleaning day...Cheng Meng.
And more offering - all to be burnts - here there are paper clothing, shoes, lots of ingots and money etc
- In a nutshell:Not sure if I would go otherwise!!! Nothing attracts me
Gunung Jerai is a huge limestone mountain, and it is the highest peak in Kedah. Wherever we drove we could have a view... more travel advice
Not too far from the clock tower is a Hindu temple, Sri Subramania Swami Devasthanam more travel advice
Audrey118's Related Pages
Sungai Petani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sungai Petani, Kedah"
- "Sungei Petani - literally means Farmers' River"
- "Welcome to Smalltown Malaysia"
- "Sungai Petani, My Hometown"
- "Sungai Petani"
- "My Hometown ~ Sungai Petani, Kedah"
- "Sungai Petani - My hometown"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sungai Petani
- Hotels in Sungai Petani
- Transportation in Sungai Petani
- Restaurants in Sungai Petani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sungai Petani
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sungai Petani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sungai Petani
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos