"Sungei Petani - literally means Farmers' River" Top 5 Page for this destination Sungai Petani by Audrey118

Sungai Petani Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 209 photos

We took a flight to Penang, hired a car and head off to Sungei Petani where my husband's family now lives.

Sungei Petani is about 65 km from Penang Bayan Lepas airport; you have to cross the beautiful Penang Bridge to get back to mainland of the peninsular, and in a good day it should take about 30 minutes to reach.

There is however nothing very 'touristy' that would attract nonlocals to come by...even Malaysians would not even be bothered...but recently more interest is seen with the Lembah Bujang musuem which however pales to Thailand Ayutthaya ruins!...look out at my Kampung Bujang VT pages for pictures...

In Sungei Petani town - you will see remnants of British influence in the architecture; the clock tower, the bank buidling etc.

Other than that while we were driving to even smaller towns, the roads we were driving on cuts across lots of estates, plantations, which were once earth road, and were estates roads, build by the British to serve their estates routines.

Tomb Cleaning - Annual Ritual

It is an annual affair to visit up north for us...usually at this time of the year. The westerners would call our trip as All Souls Day, but Chinese mainly calls it tomb cleaning day...Cheng Meng.

And more offering - all to be burnts - here there are paper clothing, shoes, lots of ingots and money etc

• In a nutshell:Not sure if I would go otherwise!!! Nothing attracts me
  • Last visit to Sungai Petani: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2003

• Sep 16, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Is it near the town center? near the railway station there , the padang there?

• Jun 16, 2005 at 5:43 PM

the location of the hotel is quite strategic-It takes just 3-5 minutes to reach a Tesco hypermarket . If you want great food choice from this hotel, just forget about it if you are a vegan. the staffs are friendly and room rating: 3 star

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2005 at 7:20 PM

Nice write-up on SP.

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 2:27 AM

Nice little page

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2004 at 8:08 PM

Even though you downplayed the importance, I found your Sungai Petani pages fascinating with rituals, architecture, and nature. Thanks.

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2003 at 12:52 AM

Very interesting, esp. the Tomb Cleaning ritual.

• A2002's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 7:55 AM

I never knew so much about the history in SP. I just go there relatives visiting, see see look look and of course eat and eat. :-)

• city_guy's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 1:18 AM

I like the offering picture. So typical Malaysian :) ☺

• Jul 24, 2003 at 7:50 PM

actually this is not a Mariamman temple. it is a Subramaniam Temple.. thank you

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2003 at 7:31 PM

Wonderful background to Gunung Jerai. I remember Souls Day when I lived in HK.. a nice annual tradition that you keep.

Audrey118

“next stop - Stockholm and Riga”

Badges & Stats in Sungai Petani

Have you been to Sungai Petani?

Latest Activity in Sungai Petani