"More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya" Melaka by Audrey118
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,562 reviews and 3,796 photos
My husband and I love to drive to Melaka. Every couple of months we hit the PLUS (North South Expressway) to Melaka - if you drive fast it takes 1 1/2 hours, but my dear husband takes it to a snailpace much to my annoyance.
The drive is pleasant, albeit nothing exciting. Malaysian Highway is ultra good - nothing but a darn straight highway. I however like to caution all drivers to slow down as we approach Ayer Keroh (pass Alor Gajah exit) as it gest just a bit windy here. There are lots of wind indicators to caution drivers of strong wind and if you are dirivng a small car like Malaysia's Perodua Kancil you may just as well float!!!
Our travel to Melaka is made even more pleasant as one of our client happens to own the Renaissance Hotel. Each time we visit the hotel which now is managed by the Marriott Group we get special rates. Becos of our familiar faces, we often chit chat with the staff at he club floor lounge. It is so hospitable and after all these years we are very good friends.
The Renaissance hotel is well located in the city, about 10 minutes or so to walk to most tourist attractions (very close to Bukit Cina) and also to my favourite street Jonker street
Jonker street has lots of old pre war shophouses, worth taking note is some of the old window frames, old doors, and also tiled front wall. There are some exquisite homes - you can visit one turned into a museum - Baba Nyonya museum and see how the rich lived in such ornate homes.
Many of these shops are now antique shops while many are turned into cafes.
I particularly enjoy the evenigns during the weekend - there is this nightmarket, fondly known as Jonker Walk. It is not a big market, but one with character. The locals come out and sell all kinds of stuff
sometimes you just wonder why they can even consider selling certain stuff but occaissionally there are some stalls that sell novelty handmade craft, some nice homemade snacks.
Being a real food junkie, I normally snack all the way along the Jonker street and all the way back to the hotel!!!!
And now I have discovered the yummiest nyonya laksa....and you really MUST try it...go to 31 Hereen St...the back portion near the carparks....you will not miss the place...it gets a bit crowded...great for brunch!!!
First time tourist to Melaka must not miss out the following tourist attractions (many you can get to see by foot but please take along a hat, some sunblock and lots of drinking water):
* The red Dutch buildings, the Christ Church and the museum near the Christ Church
* Walk along the Jonker Street and cross the bridge where the Melaka river - look out for Hereen House or visit Baba House
*eat chicken rice balls unique to Melaka
*St Paul church which was visited by St Francis Xavier and the A Farmosa gate and also the mock up Sultanette house
*if you are into temples and other places of worship then go to the goldsmith and temple streets - along the heritage walk
* go to Bukit Cina and see the Hang Li Po well
*if you want food away from the tourist area then head of to Melaka Raya - so many restaurants that locals go to and no that far
- Pros:Lots of history, cultural heritage
- Cons:The proximity to the straits makes Melaka ultra hot/
- In a nutshell:Lovely historic place to go for the weekend
There are very many similar shops along the jonker street as well as along Hereen St (Tun Tan Cheng Lock) and now it is... more travel advice
I bought some gifts for children. These are made of wax...but they have little decoration inside which children would... more travel advice
Audrey118's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 59 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 126 reviews, 126 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 106 reviews, 124 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 93 reviews, 126 photos, 5 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 94 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 37 reviews, 130 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 59 reviews, 62 photos
- Audrey Intro, 39 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bay of Islands Intro, 48 reviews, 51 photos
- Rome Intro, 48 reviews, 37 photos
- Ayuthaya Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
Latest Melaka hotel reviews
- A'Famosa Resort Hotel Melaka
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Shah's Beach Resort Melaka
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Mahkota Hotel Melaka
- 250 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- The Golden Legacy Hotel Melaka
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Riviera Bay Resort
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Renaissance Melaka Hotel
- 271 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- D-Paradise Park and Resort
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2010
- Tanjung Bidara Beach Resort
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 25, 2012
- Bayview Hotel Melaka
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Orkid Melaka
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Harbour Inn
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012
- Fairway Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 3, 2012
- Hotel Puri
- 449 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- MITC Ancasa Hotel Melaka
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2012