Fribourg Things to Do Tips by Tripack Top 5 Page for this destination
Fribourg Things to Do: 64 reviews and 128 photos
Quick way up to the town
A surprising and ecological system is used to operate this funicular since 1899. So the wastewater of Fribourg move the Funi from the Neuveville District up to downtown Fribourg. Ah the eternal power of gravity!
Mo-Sa: 7.00-8.15AM and 9.30AM-7.00PM
Su: 9.30AM -7.00PM
Directions: TPF stop: Bus n°4 Pertuis
I love to observe the eternal mouvement of water and mecanics of this Tinguely masterpiece. The fountain has a big round basin in the centre of which sits the fantastic black machine, a firework-like display of iron and water.
The artist Jean Tinguely is born in Fribourg. In 1984 he built this fountain in memory of his friend and Formula1 driver Seppi Jo Siffert, who died in an accident at Brands Hatch in 1971. The two men had previously drawn up plans for a fountain in the 60s.
Two other original fountains could also be found on public place as the Carnival Fountain built in Basel in 1977 and the Strawinsky Fountain in Paris in 1983.
Address: Grand-Places, 1700 Fribourg
Fribourg is well known and appreciete for its cheese quality as the Gruyère, my favorite since I have teeth ;-), and the Vacherin, for example.
Do not miss the occasion to taste these local delight by eating a Fondue moitié-moitié (half Gruyère-half Vacherin).
Here you will find the secret Swiss recipe to make your own Fondue or just go to a traditional Swiss restaurant...
You need a special pot called a "caquelon" to prepare a fondue. Once the fondue is ready, the caquelon is set up on the table on a small burner. Keep the fondue on a constant heat, but make sure it does not overheat. We use special forks with long handles to dip the bread in the molten cheese.
Ingredients (for 4 cheese amateurs):
* 1 clove of garlic
* 800g of cheese mixture (400g Gruyere and 400g Emmantaler, for the classic “moitie-moitie” (half and half) fondue.) You may also vary the mixture of cheese depending on your taste.
* Dry white wine, such as Fendant du Valais
* Freshly ground pepper
* Flour, maizena or potato starch
* Bicarbonate of soda
* Kirsch Liqueur
* French bread cubes, about 1 inch in size with crust on at least 1 side.
Preparation & Service
1) Rub a clove of garlic against a fondue dish (you can leave the garlic in the fondue dish).
2) Add 4 dl of dry white wine and let it warm at a low temperature. When the wine boils, put 800g of grated cheese and mix it continuously at a medium-high temperature until it reaches boiling point.
3) Let this mixture cook for another minute or two and then add the binding agent (see below).
4) Season with pepper and serve as soon as possible. Be sure that the cheese is kept warm at a low temperature while serving.
To bind the fondue:
1) Mix the following ingredients in a glass: 4 or 5 teaspoons of maizena, potato starch or flour.
2) Add one teaspoon of Kirsch (1 teaspoon = 1 person) and a pinch of bicarbonate of soda.
Once the cheese mixture is finally mixed and melted, pour it slowly into the fondue pot and serve.
Bon appetit !
Directions: In every Swiss made restaurants
10'000 students study at the local University. As Fribourg counts 36'500 inhabitants, this place is really a student's city.
Another cultural particularity is the bilinguism. The Sarine River marks the linguistic divide; French is mostly spoken on the west bank, and German on the other side (Freiburg in German).
Fribourg university reflects this Swiss mix as 51% are from Swiss German part, 29% are from Swiss French part and 8% are from Swiss Italian part. You could even follow your Uni cursus in both languages (German/French).
Founded in 1889, the University of Fribourg Switzerland is unique for its bilinguism (French-German), its international character and its friendly atmosphere. The University’s teaching and research are informed by a profound sense of ethical principles. The University collaborates with many other universities world-wide and participates in numerous international student exchange programs.
Address: Avenue de l'Europe 20, 1700 Fribourg
Cathedral in the City
This gothic cathedral has required 207 year of labor to be built from 1283 to 1490.
The stained glass designed by the Polish Jozef Mehoffer at the beginning of the XXth century. This masterwork is the most comprehensive example of Art Nouveau in the religious stained glass in Europe.
The classical and romantic organ (1824-1834) represents the achievement of a local organ maker by the name of Aloys Mooser. Franz Liszt and Anton Bruckner played this monumental instrument of international notoriety.
The 76-meter-high Gothic tower takes the visitor up 368 divine steps accessible from April to October. It stands as the most original creation of the late Gothic era in Switzerland. Also a great view point on the town and the Prealps.
Cathedral guided tour available.
Address: 3, Rue des chanoines, 1701 Fribourg
More Reviews (1)
Tripack's Related Pages
Fribourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Old City..."
- "an interesting town south-west of Bern"
- "Fribourg - a hidden treasure"
- "The Studious City"
- "Fribourg welcomes you!"
- "From Bern to Fribourg"
- ""Greggi di aquile" nel cielo di Friburgo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fribourg
- Hotels in Fribourg
- Transportation in Fribourg
- Nightlife in Fribourg
- Restaurants in Fribourg
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nanterre Hotels
- Killington Hotels
- Live Oak
- Hamilton Hotels
- Lake McConaughy State Recreation Area
- Rajgurunagar Hotels
- Chestnut Hill Meeting House
Badges & Stats in Fribourg
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Fribourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fribourg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 88 reviews, 168 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 76 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Sydney Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos
- Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Karlsruhe Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues