Geneva Off The Beaten Path Tips by Tripack Top 5 Page for this destination
Geneva Off The Beaten Path: 54 reviews and 61 photos
Geneva offers a "Christmas Skating Rink" - a popular and entertaining diversion during the end of year festivities.
Located right in the heart of town, in the Place du Rhone, close to the "Ile Rousseau" and the Rhone River, this 500m2 skating rink is popular with young and old alike, welcoming close to 30,000 skaters every year.
A completely covered snack bar next to the rink is a perfect place for skaters to catch their breath and warm up.
Numerous events are also featured, such as skating and ice hockey demonstrations, sculptures on the ice, "Santa Claus Day",...
Dates: from November 19th, 2005 to January 29th, 2006
Price: admission to the rink is free!
Skates rental: CHF 4.- for children, CHF 7.- for adults
Opening hours: open daily from 10am to 10pm
The Globe of Science and Innovation
CERN is where the web is born. In 1989, Tim Berners-Lee, a scientist at CERN, invented the World Wide Web (that you are currently using!). The Web, as it is affectionately called, was originally conceived and developed to meet the demand for automatic information sharing between scientists working in different universities and institutes all over the world.
You could visit the world's largest particle physics laboratory. A visit lasts approximately half a day. It consists of an introduction to CERN presented by one of our guides, followed by a film projection and a visit to one of the experimental areas and/or to an accelerator on the surface.
The CERN Visits Service organises guided tours free of charge, in several languages, from Monday to Saturday, at 9:00 or at 14:00. Reservation is obligatory.
Access: CERN main site is close to Geneva airport on the Meyrin Road.
From Cornavin railway station take bus direction CERN unti CERN stop (about 40 minutes).
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: +41 22 767 8484
The countryside of Geneva could be worth to visit. Especially if you are a wine amateur.
Each Saturday you could visit (as I did) some producers which will offer you free wine tasting at their domains.
You could also rent a bike for an beautiful tour through the Geneva vineyards as Bourdigny > Choully > Peissy > Russin > Dardagny and stop in the winery of your choice. See my sport travel tip for more details.
Cars, cars and more cars...
Salon de l'Auto (Motor Show)
Each spring around March, the Geneva Motor Show continues its long standing tradition of showing an abundance of concept cars to the industry, the press and the public.
A charming village in the city...
Relax by strolling through this nice little city and animated streets with plenty of good addresses to eat, to drink and to dance.
Some of my favourite addresses in Carouge:
- Restaurant au Vieux Carouge (27 rue Jacques-Dalphin) for their famous and delicious Swiss Cheese Fondue specialties in a very popular and friendly athmosphere.
- Café du Marché (Place du Marché) a wide wine selection carte to combine with some creative and original dishes. A pleasant athmosphere and service.
- Au Chat Noir: nice place for a beer, for a chat;-) or live concert...
Techno Trance Tripack...
Lake parade, each year in Summer, just enjoy the Techno parade with loads of love mobiles, fun, dancers, music, and more...
Lake sensation session along the Quai Gustave Ador with many dance floors, bars from 7PM to 3AM
Afters available around some clubs aroung the Geneva Beach...
Do not forget you earplug...
More Reviews (30)
- See All Pour une nuit d'ivresse...
- See All Geneva Festival - Fêtes de Genève
- See All Where to eat???
- See All Cheap accodomation for Summertime
- See All Green Heaven around Geneva (left bank)
Tripack's Related Pages
Geneva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "diplomats, scientists and watch makers!"
- "Le songe d'une nuit d'été"
- "Geneva by Trip@ck"
- "An international crossroads"
- "Home of the America's Cup"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geneva
- Hotels in Geneva
- Transportation in Geneva
- Nightlife in Geneva
- Restaurants in Geneva
- Shopping in Geneva
- Warnings and Dangers in Geneva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geneva
- 36 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Geneva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geneva
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 88 reviews, 168 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 76 reviews, 170 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Sydney Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos
- Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Karlsruhe Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (140)
- Old Town- 18 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Le Jet d'Eau- 44 Reviews, 78 Photos
- Lake Boat Trips- 13 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Flower Clock- 24 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Cathédrale Saint-Pierre- 35 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Lac Léman - Lake Geneva- 17 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Palais des Nations- 6 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Old Arsenal- 10 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Jardin Anglais- 12 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Mont Blanc Bridge- 6 Reviews, 7 Photos
See All Geneva Things to Do