Zermatt Off The Beaten Path Tips by Tripack Top 5 Page for this destination
Zermatt Off The Beaten Path: 42 reviews and 57 photos
The swinging bridge???
Explore the Gorner Gorge between Furi and Zermatt with its impressive rock formations (holes in the rock formed by glaciers, polished rock faces) pounded by enormous masses of rushing water is a unique spectacle of nature.
The passage through the gorge is over a distance of about 1 km and takes approx. 3 - 4 hours. The highlights of the climb through the gorge are: three sections which are rappelled, three sections of pulleys (the longest approx. 80 metres), the secured climbing routes over rock faces polished over the centuries, and also the holes in the rock formed by glaciers in the depths of the gorge. Your feet stay dry throughout the climb.
You will be secured for the entire duration of the climb through the gorge, which cannot be undertaken without a mountain guide with good knowledge of the area. The route passes in part over natural rock formations, fixed iron steps mounted into the rock and metal platforms.
Reservations can be made up to the day before the hike at the "Alpin Center" Zermatt.
Duration: 3 -4 hrs. / Price: CHF 120.-.
Phone: 027 966 24 60
© Gerhard Krischker
Would you like to go skiing or snowboarding right in the middle of summer? Visit Saas-Fee or Zermatt summer ski area on high altitude glacier.
These two biggest and attractive summer ski areas are for the first time offering combined ski-passes during the summer season from 2 July to 31 October.
Saas-Fee and Zermatt are a 40 minute drive apart. 41 km of groomed carving and mogul runs as well as summer parks with a half-pipe and obstacle courses for freestylers provide the ultimate snow experience on hot summer days.
Have a quick look to my Swiss deals about Zermatt to get special package...
The quickest way to discover The Matterhorn...
If you're in a hurry take an helicopter flight around the Matterhorn with Air Zermatt.
I must admit that it is not the most silencious and ecological way to discover the Matterhorn, so if you have enough time enjoy it on foot or cable-car...
Example: Zermatt Heliport - Matterhorn- Roundflight
Duration: 20 Min
Min. 4 passengers (single passager in combination with other passengers is possible)
Price: CHF 210.- per passenger
Other flights available see the website for more information.
Cheers with ice cube?
A "carnotztet" at the Klein Matterhorn: what an unusual location for a wine tasting.
There a fine selection of local white wine as Fendant, Petite Arvine, Johannisberg, Muscat,... is waiting for you. You could be sure the wine will be at the perfect temperature as the tasting is located inside the highest glacier grotto (3'800m).
If you feel a little dizzy after some glasses, you could still arguate that is due to the high
When: each Friday from 10th June 23rd September 2005
Where: Ice Grotto at the Klein Matterhorn, access by the Matterhorn Express and the Klein Matterhorn cable car (40 min of ride from Zermatt).
Igloo sweet igloo
The most refreshing night that you could experience...
Igloo Village Zermatt
The Igloo Village in Zermatt right at the foot of the Matterhorn is an unforgettable experience. It contains two large igloos which can be used for incentive programs, fondue and chat at lunchtime and, of course, overnight stays.
Under review for winter season 2005/06... soon on line
Always a great stop to get a (very) fresh drink ;-)
The Igloo Bar Zermatt is located right next to the Igloo Village, which is situated on the ski piste from Gornergrat to Riffelberg at Rotenboden. This snow temple, ornamented with artistic sculptures, offers unforgettable pit stops with a wide selection of cold and hot beverages as well as original Swiss cheese foundue.
Swiss snow field
Head to the Stockhorn area...
You will discover enough room for freeride and off piste sensations...
More details by clicking on my VT alpine sport page
New 4000-metre peak in Zermatt...
Zermatt Bergbahnen want to realise the well known local artist Heinz Julen’s project. The summit of the Klein Matterhorn, at 3883 m above sea level already the highest observation platform in the Alps, is to be raised. The plan is to construct a 90m high pyramid with two platforms reached by lift. One of the platforms will be located right above the glacier, the other at an altitude of 4000 metres. The lifts go up the north-east face of the peak. Besides the lifts and observation platforms, there is also a restaurant. Zermatt Bergbahnen plans to start construction as early as this summer (first stage: laying of water and power lines, cafeteria, climbing lodge, underground access to the glacial grotto).
The "Dream Peak", as the landmark project has been dubbed, will be a steel and glass pyramid topped by a tower rising to 4,000 metres above sea level. Building begins: summer 2006. As visionary as it may sound, the project by local artist and designer Heinz Julen has won the backing of Zermatt's ski lift company, which solicited bids to upgrade and expand the existing infrastructure on the Kleine Matterhorn. Currently, the 3,883-metre-high mountain is reached from Zermatt by cable car and is used by skiers in winter and sightseers in summer, the latter spending a few minutes on top enjoying the views of the Matterhorn and the many other surrounding peaks.
The impressive snowy cap and some alpinists on it
The Breithorn climbing for everyone...
The Breithorn (4'164m) is the easiest four-thousand-metre peak in the area. Its snow-capped peak is rather flat and is thus easier to handle than most other mountains. A guide helps one get to the top in about two hours and the descent about 1 1/2 hours.
On the top, the view is absolutely breath-taking, you will feel dominating all alpine peaks surroundings as the Mont Blanc, Matterhorn, Dent Blanche, Obergabelhorn, Zinal Rothorn, Weisshorn, Mischabel and of course the Breithorn itself...
You take the cable-car from Zermatt to the Klein Matterhorn and the tour starts at the mountain station of the Matterhorn glacier paradise (3'883m). Please note that one needs to be in good shape.
Reservations at the "Alpin Center" located in the middle of the Bahnhofstasse.
Phone: 027 966 24 60
More Reviews (67)
- See All A restaurant with view...
- See All Travel quicker to/from Zermatt
- See All Zermatt Harbour
- See All Riffelberg Express
- See All A romantic place to stay
- See All Crevasses Danger
Tripack's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt and the Matterhorn"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Explore the World
- Akumal Hotels
- Ethiopia Hotels
- Daytona Beach
- Murthal Hotels
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Hotels
- Austin Off The Beaten Path
- Istanbul Off The Beaten Path
- Places around Hyderabad
- London Off The Beaten Path
- Iowa Off The Beaten Path
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Sedona Off The Beaten Path
- Andalucía Off The Beaten Path
- Jaipur Off The Beaten Path
- Anastasia Island State Park.
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 76 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
- updated a Zermatt Travel Page "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- Commented on one of MikeBird's Zermatt travel pages
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Ski in June"
- Wrote a Review A restaurant with view... in Zermatt Restaurants
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 88 reviews, 168 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 76 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Sydney Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos
- Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Karlsruhe Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (135)
Latest Zermatt hotel reviews
- Wellness- and Vitalhotel Pirmin Zurbriggen Zermatt
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Grand Zermatterhof Hotel Zermatt
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- The Omnia
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 18, 2013
- Hotel Berghof
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2012
- Gornergrat Dorf Hotel Zermatt
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2012
- Coeur des Alpes
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Mont Cervin Palace
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Hotel Weisshorn
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel-Restaurant Alpenblick Zermatt
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Youthhostel Zermatt
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 27, 2012
- Grand Hotel Schoenegg Zermatt
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Schlosshotel Tenne
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Couronne
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Riffelberg
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Gornergrat- 17 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Glacier Express- 5 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn- 15 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Klein Matterhorn- 7 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Matterhorn Glacier Paradise- 3 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Walking- 5 Reviews, 19 Photos
- St. Mauritius Church- 4 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Matterhorn Museum- 5 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Sunnegga Paradise- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Cemetery- 5 Reviews, 12 Photos
See All Zermatt Things to Do