Switzerland Shopping Tips by Tripack Top 5 Page for this destination
Switzerland Shopping: 26 reviews and 26 photos
Swiss made high technology
Switzerland is not only an alpine paradise but also a shopping paradise. Especially for luxury goods as watch, jewellery or Swiss chocolate ;-).
Why not to let you tempt by a Swiss made watch from a famous brand, usually there are available in the big Swiss cities but also in Alpine resorts as Zermatt, Gstaad, St-Moritz...
Do not forget to ask the tax free form to get a VAT refund when you’re leaving Switzerland (to know how to process see my other shopping tip on my VT Swiss page)
What to buy: - Swiss Watches
- Swiss Chocolates
- Swiss Knifes
What to pay: $$$
The VAT rate in Switzerland is 7,6 % and is included in the sales price. All visitors residing outside of Switzerland are entitled to claim back the VAT, if they spend more than CHF 400 in one shop in one day. The goods must be exported within 30 days after purchase date and the export must be confirmed by an official Swiss customs stamp.
What to buy: 3 easy steps to claim your refund :
1. In the store
Shop where you see the Tax-free Shopping logo and simply ask for your Global Refund Cheque. You will receive an information leaflet with detailed explanation in different languages.
2. At customs
When leaving Switzerland, present your Global Refund Cheque to Swiss customs authorities and have the goods ready for inspection.
3. Get your refund
Hand in the blue original of your Global Refund Cheque. You have several choices to get your refund:
- Immediate cash at our nearby Cash Refund Office.
- Mail your Cheque to Global Refund. The refund will then be credited to a chosen credit card, a Swiss bank account or you will receive a bank check to your home address.
Theme: Department Store
What to buy: Don't forget to buy your favourite Swiss chocolate as souvenir or gift. My recommended brands are Lindt or Cailler (Nestlé).
As I said 10 secondes in your mouth, then 10 years on yours hips ;-)
Theme: Food and Drink
What to buy: I confirm that I use an army knife during my Swiss military service from this brand Victorinox. Unfortunately the Swiss army knife for soldier (me) doesn't have the corkscrew (very useful weapon if you come from Valais). This tool is only for the Swiss army knife officer (not me) ;-(.
Have a quick surf on the website to find the official sales points to avoid fake copy or abusive price.
What to pay: Of course it's depending on the model.
The basic model "Classic" with 7 functions (scissors, nailfile, key ring, tweezers, toothpick, blade, nail cleaner) is around CHF 15.-.
The model Cyber Tool XL in photo is around CHF 175.-.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (84)
- See All Nothing to do... just relax...
- See All Swiss Army knife don't fly...
- See All A Swiss Lunchtime Nap: eat and sleep...
- See All Visit the longest railtunnel in the...
- See All Music on the Alps
- See All Specialities of the Valais
- See All Wine tasting exhibition for Valais...
- See All Experience an Igloo night
- See All Public transport automats don't give...
- Useful gear to discover the Swiss...
- See All Explore Swiss Alps with our Swiss Post...
- See All Swiss Snow Paradise...
Tripack's Related Pages
Switzerland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Switzerland was my home for more than 5 years"
- "Switzerland like a dream..."
- "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- "The Heart of Europe"
- "I love Switzerland - and all their cable-cars!"
- "VT Meeting Party for Janet"
- "First-Bachalpsee- First_Tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Switzerland
- Hotels in Switzerland
- Transportation in Switzerland
- Nightlife in Switzerland
- Restaurants in Switzerland
- Shopping in Switzerland
- Warnings and Dangers in Switzerland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ballinteer Hotels
- Seaside Heights Hotels
- Hot Springs Hotels
- Marsh Harbour Hotels
Badges & Stats in Switzerland
- 406 Reviews
- 859 Photos
- 155 Forum posts
- 25 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Switzerland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Switzerland
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Ski in June"
- updated a Switzerland Travel Page "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- Commented on one of DAO's Switzerland travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Highest weight dam in the world..."
- Wrote a Review Nothing to do... just relax... in Switzerland Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Switzerland Intro, 88 reviews, 168 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zermatt Intro, 76 reviews, 169 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 29 reviews, 110 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geneva Intro, 36 reviews, 68 photos
- Sydney Intro, 30 reviews, 70 photos
- Gozo Intro, 18 reviews, 79 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 16 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 28 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Karlsruhe Intro, 18 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Switzerland hotels
- Geneva Hotels
- 980 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Lucerne Hotels
- 946 Reviews - 2697 Photos
- Zürich Hotels
- 1860 Reviews - 5529 Photos
- Interlaken Hotels
- 506 Reviews - 1355 Photos
- Lugano Hotels
- 390 Reviews - 1036 Photos
- Lausanne Hotels
- 345 Reviews - 879 Photos
- Zermatt Hotels
- 535 Reviews - 1494 Photos
- Beatenberg Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Basel Hotels
- 483 Reviews - 1348 Photos
- Engelberg Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 491 Photos
- Lauterbrunnen Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 779 Photos
- Bern Hotels
- 591 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Cointrin Hotels
- 4 Hotels
- Montreux Hotels
- 123 Reviews - 414 Photos
- Wengen Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 169 Photos