"If you want to see the world, you better get going" feats's Profile

I always wanted a picture of the New York skyline. I was in Manhattan chasing after a visa to visit Ukraine late summer 2001 when I thought about heading over to Brooklyn to look west over the river for the view.

Meanwhile, the Ukraine people have no concept of what a line is and bring that mentality to their Consulate office here in the states. Here, we are trained like rodents to follow that rat-maze to the counter that we have at official offices, banks, carnival rides, etc. For the Uke's (Russians - and some other peoples of the world for that matter) it's a landrush! Whoever is serious about getting it done, is up there pushing and shoving for position.
Anyway I was tired from the visa process and was anxious to get out of the city and started on the 4-hour drive home.

"I'll get that picture some other time." At least that's what I thought. "It's the New York skyline, it'll always be there!" Instead, I decided to give it a go and at least try to get to a place for a view.

I felt so sick seeing those towers come down and what it did to so many people. On some smaller level, I felt a kind of connection having been there several weeks before. One thought I had is written as the title to this page.

Namibia

This place is so beautiful.
Every two feet you can take a photograph and look like a professional. You can close your eyes, trip and accidently take great photos all over the place. When I grow old and go blind, this is where I'll go to take pictures...

St. John, USVI

The beautiful waters lure you in, then the warm white sands calm you to sleep. Painfully, you wake up to the sunburn from hell. This is where you go when you're in the mood to peel layers of skin off.

Romania

These beautiful churches have colorful frescoes depicting religious history typically for those who could not read. This country has a great "campers" mentality. Wherever you are, whenever you're in the mood, just pitch a tent. You know, pick up your mess when you're done; nobody cares...

Aruba

This desert island majors in volcanic rock and spiny cactuses. Its reputation as a tropical paradise disguise its dry as death geographic interior. This sole twisted tree is actually quite famous on the island and draws people for many purposes. You'll see those who picnic all over it, some getting married next to it, screaming kids hanging from it, people buttin' out their cigarettes on it, urinating dogs tied to it, etc. It's a shame; it's lived a long and difficult life. I was able to get this picture before these people tied a rope between it and their car to dry their clothes.

• Intro Updated Jun 28, 2006

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I love the view of the NYC skyline from the Brooklyn Bridge. Great shot! ~

• nikola316's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 6:09 PM

Greetings From Syr. I hope you're someplace warmer now.

• racheljapi's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2004 at 5:38 PM

How is Chile?! I'm dying to go! What is your # thing for someone to do when they are there?

• Guedes's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2004 at 3:00 PM

Very nice page! The pics are beautiful! Greetings from Fortaleza! =)

• AliasGirl's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 7:22 PM

I agree with you even New Yorkers who live and work in the heart of Manhattan don't take true advantage of our great sites. I don't take the NYC skyline for granted anymore! Thanks for your picture of WTC..

• 78Eva's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2004 at 5:55 AM

you're pretty well travelled! Greetings from close by!

• upthemountain's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2004 at 2:45 AM

Interesting summary impressions that are also well illustrated! Thanks.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
feats's Profile Photo

feats

“if you want to see the world, you better get going...”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.