"Travel2write's Guam" Top 5 Page for this destination Guam by Travel2write
Guam Travel Guide: 639 reviews and 2,159 photos
It's always nice to get into this port after a long underway and relax, fish, dive or just have a great night out.
The Territory of Guam (Guåhån in Chamorro) is an island in the Western Pacific Ocean and is an organized unincorporated territory of the United States. Its indigenous people are the Chamorros, who first inhabited the island approximately 3,500 years ago.
The capital is Hagåtña, formerly Agana (pronounced Agaña). Guam's economy is mainly supported by tourism (particularly from Japan) and its United States armed forces bases. The latter takes up one-third of the entire land mass of the island. The United Nations Committee on Decolonization includes Guam on the United Nations list of Non-Self-Governing Territories.
Guam was ceded to the US by Spain in 1898. Captured by the Japanese in 1941, it was retaken by the US three years later. The military installation on the island is one of the most strategically important US bases in the Pacific.
No true cities exist on Guam (if one uses the 50,000 person rule), but each "city" represents an individual township, all of which have mayors and limited autonomy within the central government. The largest population concentration is in the center of the island, since the south is fairly lightly populated and the north is mostly owned by the US military.
Agana (Hagåtña) — the capital
Tumon — where most tourists head, on the central west of the island
- Pros:Island time!
- Cons:Can be real hot!
- In a nutshell:Take it slow in the day, and fast at night!
18 holes course with spectacular views, rolling tropical hills and ponds. It was a hot day, however they offer coolers... more travel advice
Had to do a little research to find the history behind this statue. Found at Kamilin Park in Merizo. SANTA MARIAN... more travel advice
- See All Here is where to shop for the deals.
- See All Storm drain water
- "Paddle Lock" to lock your love...
- See All Do you know what a latte stone is?
Travel2write's Related Pages
Guam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Travel2write's Guam"
- "$$$ SHOPPING AROUND GUAM IN 8 HOURS $$$"
- "The Tiny Island Of Guam"
- "Not a Whole Day, Just "Hafa Adai" in Guam"
- "Hafa Adai"
- "AyurinHiro's new Guam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guam
- Hotels in Guam
- Transportation in Guam
- Nightlife in Guam
- Restaurants in Guam
- Shopping in Guam
- Warnings and Dangers in Guam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guam
- 32 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Guam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guam Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Singapore Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sasebo Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brisbane Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Tijuana Intro, 22 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- San Diego Intro, 20 reviews, 9 photos
- Dubai Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos