"Port Blair India" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Blair by Travel2write
Port Blair Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 297 photos
Port Blair is the largest town in the Andaman Islands and the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands union territory of India. It lies on the east coast of South Andaman Island and is the main entry point to the islands.
The town is named for Archibald Blair of the East India Company, who founded a nearby penal colony in 1789. Port Blair was founded by the British in 1858, the Cellular Jail surviving from this period.
For a time during 1943 and 1944, Port Blair was the headquarters of the Indian National Army government under Subhash Chandra Bose.
The town is a port, with ferries sailing to mainland India, and home to an airport. It is also home to several museums and a major base for the Indian Coast Guard. Although damaged by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, Port Blair survived sufficiently to act as a base for relief efforts in the islands.
- Pros:Beautiful Island and people smile all the time!
- Cons:Small, very Small
- In a nutshell:Great for a week but you may get island fever!
The jail was built in 1906. It was called 'cellular' because its entire structure was made up of individual cells for... more travel advice
Some of the beaches can become over populated with them. The time I was there, anyone who went into the water was stung! more travel advice
Travel2write's Related Pages
Port Blair Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Cellular Jail & the ruins of Ross Island"
- "Port Blair - Capital of the Andaman Islands"
- "The Ocean Never Leaves You"
- "Port Blair, Andaman and Nicobar"
- "Port Blair India"
- "Port Blair"
- "Andaman Beach Resort Diving"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Blair
- Hotels in Port Blair
- Transportation in Port Blair
- Restaurants in Port Blair
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Blair
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Blair
- 11 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Port Blair?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Blair
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guam Intro, 28 reviews, 55 photos
- Singapore Intro, 31 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sasebo Intro, 28 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hiroshima Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brisbane Intro, 12 reviews, 24 photos
- Tijuana Intro, 22 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angeles City Intro, 17 reviews, 13 photos
- San Diego Intro, 20 reviews, 9 photos
- Dubai Intro, 15 reviews, 11 photos