Beijing Favorite Tips by nepalgoods Top 5 Page for this destination
Beijing Favorites: 413 reviews and 459 photos
Kunming Lake in Winter
Favorite thing: Winter in Beijing is mainly very very cold (-15 to -25 degrees Celcius) and dry. Sometimes thick yellow clouds, which bring the sand from Gobi desert, disturb daylight. Even nowadays the air is full of the smell of the coal dust briquettes, which some people still use for heating and cooking. But when the sky is clear, then the light is excellent for taking photos.
In winter the lakes and canals are frozen and give the opportunity for skating.
It very rarely snows. But when it snows, there will be big traffic chaos and it will be difficult to walk around as the snow is not brushed away soon.
Favorite thing: There are many Christian Churches in Beijing. Just ask your embassy about services!
This is the Southern Cathedral (Nantang), the oldest Catholic Church in Beijing, founded in the middle of 16th century. It has been destroyed several times by earthquakes. Its present form comes from the rebuilding in 1904.
Fondest memory: I attended a mass short before Christmas 1988. The church was full of Chinese and Western people. A woman was singing Christmas carols. Her voice was that of an angel! I cried as I was so much impressed by the beauty of her voice!
Favorite thing: General informations:
At Meridian Gate (the Gate, where you pass only after buying a ticket), visitors can rent an audio tape in lots of languages with a player, which introduces the history and architecture of the palace. The tape and player can be returned at the north gate of the Palace Museum. That is a nice and easy way to learn a bit about the palace, when you don't have a guided tour.
Don't forget to visit the Jingshan (Coal Hill) Park, on the opposite of the palace's north gate, from where you can see the splendid layout of the palace.
Opening time:8:00-16:00 (May-September); 8:30-15:30 (October-April);
Entry ticket: 60 yuan/person (busy season), 40 yuan/person (slow season);
Some of the museums have additional charges.
--Subways: Line 1: get down at Tian'anmen East, Line 3: get down at Qianmen;
--Buses: No. 1, 4, 5, 10, 20, 22, 52, 57, 802;
It is within walking distance from Wangfujing, Xidan or Qianmen.
Favorite thing: My favourite season in Beijing is spring! After the cold, dry and yellow winter, the gras is so green, the Magnolia trees are blooming in the Summerpalace and colorful flowers are everywhere. It does not rain much in spring, the sky is clear and blue. That is why April and May are the best season to visit Beijing.
Fondest memory: April/May
Favorite thing: Autumn is the time when Chinese families go into the Western Hills to have a picnic and see the colorful leaves of the trees.
Wheather offers gentle temperatures and not much rain. It is my second favourite season in Beijing.
Summer on Tian An Men Square
Favorite thing: Summers are very humid in Beijing. It is hot and it rains a lot. Heavy thunderstorms clear the sky. But airpollution and humidity will give you headaches.
The emperors and nowadays the people, who can affford this, leave Beijing in summer to spend their time in cooler places like Chengde or at the sea in Qingdao or Beihaiguan.
Favorite thing: This is a very usefull website:
Is has links to just every page about Beijing. You can find pages about the Forbidden City, about Hotels and restaurants.
Favorite thing: Beijing has many universities. Most of them are places with a lot of old trees and beautiful gardens. I was fortunate to spend a whole year at the Beijing Language and Culture University, which was then called the Beijing Language Institute.
For more about my time at the BLCU see my travelogue!!!
Favorite thing: I think, nobody can resist to take this photo! This is the big Portrait of Chairman Mao hanging at the first gate to the Forbidden City in the north of Tian An Men Square.
Deshengmen in the background
Favorite thing: Like Xian Beijing once had a very big city wall. It has been torn down in the 1940s. But you can still see some remains of it: Qianmen-Gate and the Wall near the old trainstation. And this one: Deshengmen: an old gate in the north of the old Beijing.
Deshengmen-Gate is in the background. In front you see the small museum at the old lock. The ships of the emperors passed this lock on their way from the Imperial Palace (Forbidden City) to the Summerpalace.
More Reviews (83)
- See All North Entrance no longer an Entrance but...
- See All Nice shopping area with great shops
- See All Guang Ji Buddhist Temple
- See All Good price and great location!
- See All Traditionel Teahouse
- See All Olympics 2008
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Beijing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing - Imperial Peking"
- "My wonderful Beijing"
- "Beijing: from the Forbidden City to the Great Wall"
- "Beijing - The Northern Capital"
- "Beijing (北京)"
- "Beijing----gives you much more than you expected!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beijing
- Hotels in Beijing
- Transportation in Beijing
- Nightlife in Beijing
- Restaurants in Beijing
- Shopping in Beijing
- Warnings and Dangers in Beijing
- See All...
Explore the World
- Gilgit Hotels
- Bozeman Hotels
- Dennehotso Hotels
- Puerto Princesa City
- Atabey Hotels
Badges & Stats in Beijing
- 96 Reviews
- 205 Photos
- 49 Forum posts
- 120 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Beijing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beijing
- Posted in Travel Beijing Forum "Re: Educational trip Beijing"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sycee Bridge (Yinding Qiao)"
- updated a Beijing Travel Page "My wonderful Beijing"
- Wrote a Review North Entrance no longer an Entrance but an Exit about Forbidden City in Beijing Things to Do
- Commented on one of Willettsworld's Beijing travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Beijing
Photos in BeijingSee All Photos (205)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 96 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 217 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (43)
Latest Beijing hotel reviews
- The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel Beijing
- 255 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Comfort Inn And Suites Beijing
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 7, 2013
- Mao Er Hutong B&B
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- St. Regis Beijing Hotel
- 399 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Chang Gong Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 15, 2011
- Capital Hotel Beijing
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Beijing Blue Sky Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Days Inn Joiest Beijing
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Beijing Jinqiao International Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Beijing News Plaza Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Olympic Hotel
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Holiday Inn Central Plaza
- 452 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Nikko New Century
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Days Inn Forbidden City Beijing
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Raffles Beijing Hotel
- 564 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Forbidden City- 387 Reviews, 779 Photos
- Great Wall - Mutianyu- 76 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Tiananmen Square- 280 Reviews, 483 Photos
- Temple of Heaven- 166 Reviews, 334 Photos
- Lama Temple - Yonghegong- 62 Reviews, 140 Photos
- Summer Palace- 149 Reviews, 281 Photos
- Great Wall- 144 Reviews, 225 Photos
- Wangfujing Street- 44 Reviews, 85 Photos
- Hutongs - Bell and Drum Towers- 95 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Great Wall - Badaling- 82 Reviews, 200 Photos
See All Beijing Things to Do