"Chengde" Top 5 Page for this destination Chengde by nepalgoods
Chengde Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 197 photos
The former Jehol became important, when in the 18th century the Chinese Emperors built a summerpalace there.
Specially Emperor Qianlong built some temples, which remind you of famous Tibetian temples, like the Potala in Lhasa.
1820 Emperor Jiaqing was killed by a flash. After that the Emperors left Chengde.
Today are only the garden and some ruins of the palace left. But you can still visit 4 or 5 of the temples. The ruins of the other temples are now in a military restricted area.
The landscape around Chengde is hilly with forests. So it is nice to wander around and discover even more temples and... more travel advice
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Chengde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountain Resort - Chengde"
- "Mountain Resort of the Emperors"
- "City of Temples"
- "Chengde: The Mountain Village Retreat From Heat"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chengde
- Hotels in Chengde
- Transportation in Chengde
- Restaurants in Chengde
- Shopping in Chengde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chengde
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Chengde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chengde
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 96 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 217 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos