"Chongqing and the Yangzi River" Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing by nepalgoods

Chongqing Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 751 photos

It was raining, when I was in Chongqing in spring 1991. So I got the impression, there is not much to see. But I must have missed the best, as I found out seeing the Chongqing-Pages on VT. Now, when I came back to Chongqing in September 2005, the weather was very nice. We even had an almost clear sky!

Anyway, Chongqing is the city, where you start a Yangzi-Cruise or from where you can go to Dazu with its famous Buddhist sculptures.

This time I had the opportunity to see some sightseeingspots in Chongqing.

Yangzi River

I still think, that Chongqing is not very attractive. This Mega-City now has about 30 million people living in thousands of ugly highrise buildings. Main purpose for most people to visit Chongqing is the Yangzi River. From here the Yangzi River Cruises start. So this page is mainly about the Yangzi River Cruise, I did in 2005. A few pics are from the tour on the Yangzi River I did in 1991. What a different tour this was! 1991 on a ship for Chinese people, who just want to go from one city to the other. No sightseeing than. But in 2005: a cruise on a comfortable ship with fullboard and many tours to the mayer sightseeing spots around the river. Please see my tips for more.

Dazu

From Chongqing it is not far to Dazu, specially since the new highway is build. As I did not find Dazu on the VT-Map, I am showing my Dazu-Tips on this page. In 1991 I visited the Buddha-Grottoes of Beishan. When I came back in 2005 I had the opprtunity to visit the sculptures of Baodingshan. For more informations see my tips.

• Pros:Clean, friendly, much to see in and around Chongqing
  • Cons:Thousands of highrise-buildings for 30 million people
  • In a nutshell:Nice and interesting city for a visit of 2 or 3 days
  • Last visit to Chongqing: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2005

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2011 at 3:16 AM

enjoyed yr pg thanks!my 'tourist' boat in 1997 turned out to be a Chinese boat stopping all the way along but also all the tourist sites.shared with a Taiwanese who thought he had 1st class & a Japanese who thought he had 3rd class!very interesting trip!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Interesting pages. We visited a couple of years ago...had a great time!!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 7:44 AM

not an area i know - so thanks for the experience

• septem's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Lovely pages and tips. Juliana

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Excellent info on Chongqing. I am researching a Yangtze cruise for Dec or January but it looks like its out of season

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2006 at 7:08 AM

I can understand why you are a China addict. I'd love to see more of China someday. Thanks for visiting my Peru page a couple of weeks ago.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2006 at 12:08 AM

So there is a lot to see there after all! Now that you mention it, I've never been to a noodle factory.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 1:26 PM

Wonderful....My only visit to Chongqing was in 1987. I'm wondering if the old section of the city is still here on the side of the hill?

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 6:11 PM

Ulrike, your Chongqing page is really good! Will check out more of your china pages later.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Outstanding pictures of Dazu Buddhist Grottoes - very mysterious and green place. Haha, some of the hidden pictures are better than those first ones.

nepalgoods

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Badges & Stats in Chongqing

Have you been to Chongqing?

Latest Activity in Chongqing