"Urumqi" Top 5 Page for this destination Urumqi by nepalgoods

Urumqi Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 348 photos

Big Chinese City

When I visited Xinjiang in 1992 for the first time I skipped Urumqi on my way to Turfan as I thought, that Turfan is much more attractive. And I am still sure that was the right decision.

This time I stopped and stayed for two days in urumqi as I was on a guided tour and I did not have any choice.

But Urumqi is quite a surprise to me.Though it is a big city now with the typical highrise buildings it is still a very interesting city with mosques and busy bazaars and very nice people.

When in Urumqi do not miss:

- the big fruit and vegetables market

- the big bazaar

- the Central Province Museum

Next Stop on my Trip in June 2007:

Turpan

Turpan-Page is finished - enjoy!

• Last visit to Urumqi: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 14, 2007

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 9:25 AM

A lovely page Ulrike - the museum sounds interesting and the bazaar and market are so colourful! BTW in English that juice is called "pomegranite" - perhaps weirdly, we don't translate it into apple ;-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 4:40 AM

an interesting page you have put together here, looking forward to reading more on china

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2007 at 2:59 AM

another brilliant page - I like granatapple juice as well - just bought a bottle yesterday

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Me, too!! I did have a totally different vision of what Urumqi would be like! Thanks for a wonderful and informative page, Ulrike!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM

Another interesting place in your travel, Ulrike. I liked historic background. Your "Granat Apple Juice" picture makes my mouth water! The hotel impresses a lot. Thanks for the virtual tour!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:52 AM

At one side it is amazing to see so many modern buildings in China, at the other side it is a pity, how much of the old, traditional structures & buildings were destroyed

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 11:55 AM

I didn't expect Urumqi to be so modern. Another illusion shattered! :-(

nepalgoods

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Badges & Stats in Urumqi