"Yining - Yili" Yining by nepalgoods

Yining Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 74 photos

Why Yining?

I am organizing group tours to the Silkroad for the Touroperator China Tours in Hamburg. We offer a big tour starting in Almaty, Kazachstan, going to Xinjiang, China, Kirgistan and ending in Uzbekistan. This year (2007) we have a lot of problems with Uzbekistan Airways. They changed schedules and cancelled the tuesday-flight from Frankfurt to Tashkent. We decided to start on Mondays. But now we had a day more for the tour, because we could not change the date for the flight back. What could we do? As we had this long, long day for the busride form Almaty to the Chinese border and further on to Lake Sailim and the trainstation at Bole, I thought, it would be a nice idea to stay overnight somewhere between Almaty and Bole. The only place offering a nice hotel is Yining. But this city is not on the tourist map! It offers just nothing of any touristic interest. But for one night it is ok. And I was lucky enogh to accompany this tour in June 2007!

Yining is sometimes also called Yili as it is the capital of this area at the Yili River. People are not used to see Western people. It is a great place to watch the local people. For more about Yining please see my tips!

Next Stop on my Trip in June 2007:

Urumqi

My Urumqi-page is finished - enjoy!

• Last visit to Yining: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 28, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2008 at 6:38 AM

It's really interesting to read about somewhere so non-touristy. I particularly liked your tip on Sayram Lake and your photos of local people

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 2:31 AM

The Silk Route is in my "list" Very good and interesting tips !!!!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Thanks for showing me a non-touristy Chinese city!

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 2:16 AM

Great travel tips of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province and Silk road area! Greeting from Kim.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 4:19 AM

Brilliant page, Ulrike. Reading your page makes me want to go on a Silkroad trip

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2007 at 5:34 AM

I didn't manage to visit the Yining region while I was in xinjiang, but your VT page has brought me there virtually :)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 10:32 AM

What a fascinating area - and page!!! Well done, Ulrike! I almost had the feeling I was traveling with you!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 9:44 AM

What an interesting location and good to know, the locals like to have their photography taken !

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 11:21 AM

A very interesting page about so off the beaten path place! I liked Big Silkroad tip and historic background. I didn't know there is Kazakh Autonomous Prefecture. Thanks Ulrike for the virtual tour!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 1:31 AM

You have some beautiful photos here of Yining and its smiling people! It must have been interesting to experience this city so unused to Western tourists. Nice job you have!! :-)

nepalgoods

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Badges & Stats in Yining