Germany Transportation Tips by nepalgoods
Germany Transportation: 337 reviews and 308 photos
When you are lost in a big German city, no money, no idea, where to go, where to stay. Or when you just have to wait a long time for the next train, at the Bahnhofsmission you'll find kind people, who can help you with advice and a cup of coffee. They know, where the next consulat of your country can be found, where it is possible to stay over night for almost no money and so on...
Bahnhofmission specially helps blind or otherwise handicapped people changing trains or finding their way around the station.
Bahnhofsmission is an organisation of Catholic and Protestant church.
I found, that there is a similar organisation in the USA: www.travelersaid.org
Train of Remembrance in Wiesbaden
In 2009 a "Train of Commemoration" is going through Germany from station to station to commemorate the transportation of thousands of children to the Concentrations Camps in the 1940s. The train of Remembrance stops at various trainstations in Germany showing in its waggons pictures and things of the children. The stories of this children stand for the unimagible suffering of Thousands, who were vivtims of deportation. This part of history has been almost forgotten until this train was created. For more please see this webpage.
Since the beginning of train rides the station not only had the purpose of organizing the train trips and giving shelter to the travellers, but also had the represent the cty. Stations were the gate to the city and the first building people used to see, when they arrived.
Specially around 1900 the train stations of big cities were build like palaces. Examples: Hannnover, Wiesbaden, Stuttgart. Even today stations are build as representative buildings like in Berlin.
Bus in Hannover
Busses as public transportation between cities is not very popular in Germany. Busses are mainly used for organized tours or within cities. And sometime to get from village to village.
There are also trains between smaller cities, connecting just evry place to the bigger cities. But this transportations is getting less and less frequent and more expencive. That is why most people go by car to work and everywhere.
Hannover Train Station
Public transportation is very comfortable in Germany. We have a lot of superfast trains - called ICE -, which connect all mayor cities every hours during daytime.
More Reviews (23)
- See All A Cup of Coffee and a Piece of Cake
- See All Deutsche Hanse/Hanseatic League
- May 1st
- See All Spreewald
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Discover Germany’s incredible diversity"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 322 Reviews
- 647 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Videos in GermanySee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 95 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 208 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6866 Reviews - 15332 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2158 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3989 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3457 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 3005 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos