Germany Restaurant Tips by nepalgoods
Germany Restaurants: 267 reviews and 461 photos
Man cutting white cabbage for Sauerkraut
‘Most foreigners,’ reads the 1969 guide ‘Die Küche in Deutschland’, ‘imagine German cuisine to be an infinite series of sausages and sauerkraut.' This opinion was apparently shared by Germany’s poets and thinkers, experts in analysing the likes and tastes of the German population, as proven by the existence of several hymns to the Germans’ favourite food. ‘Metzelsuppenlied’ by poet Ludwig Uhland (1787-1862), for instance, intones ‘Auch unser edles Sauerkraut, wir sollen’s nicht vergessen; / Ein Deutscher hat’s zuerst gebaut, / Drum ist’s ein deutsches Essen. (Our fine sauerkraut, too - and let’s not forget it - was created by a German, which makes it German food.)
This ‘fine’ German sauerkraut or more precisely, its enchanting smell, also inspired Heinrich Heine (1797-1856) in his Parisian exile, to write: ‘Der Tisch war gedeckt, / hier fand ich ganz die altgermanische Küche. / Sei mir gegrüßt, mein Sauerkraut, / Holdselig sind deine Gerüche. (The table was set, where I found Old German cooking. Greetings, my sauerkraut - how sweet is your aroma.) Finally, Wilhelm Busch (1832-1908) sends Widow Bolte, who is not just enthusiastic about chickens, down to the cellar so ’daß sie von dem Sauerkohle, / eine Portion sich hole, / Wofür sie besonders schwärmt, / wenn er wieder aufgewärmt. (…that she can fetch a portion of sauerkraut, which she particularly likes when it's reheated.) If one were to believe the poets, there is no other food that the Germans love quite as much as sauerkraut.
However, sauerkraut is not even a German phenomenon - it is believed to have been ‘invented’ by the Chinese more than 2,000 years ago. When Genghis Khan conquered China he brought the recipe for making sauerkraut with him; the Mongols finally brought it to Europe. In the 15th century, monks in the Alsace made it as sustenance during their fasts. I think the Korean "Kimchi" is very much related to our German "Sauerkraut".
Directions: For a recipy of Sauerkraut please see my Karlsruhe-Page!
More Reviews (29)
- See All A sad Chapter of History
- See All A Cup of Coffee and a Piece of Cake
- See All Deutsche Hanse/Hanseatic League
- May 1st
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Germany Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where to go and what to see !"
- "Discover Germany’s incredible diversity"
- "Germany on a Budget from an Insider"
- "Paul's Germany Page"
- "Breweries, Hikes and Climbs"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Germany
- Hotels in Germany
- Transportation in Germany
- Nightlife in Germany
- Restaurants in Germany
- Shopping in Germany
- Warnings and Dangers in Germany
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Germany
- 322 Reviews
- 647 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Germany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Germany
Videos in GermanySee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 95 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 208 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Germany hotels
- Berlin Hotels
- 6866 Reviews - 15332 Photos
- Munich Hotels
- 4309 Reviews - 9910 Photos
- Düsseldorf Hotels
- 950 Reviews - 2162 Photos
- Frankfurt am Main Hotels
- 1667 Reviews - 3684 Photos
- Cologne Hotels
- 1607 Reviews - 3989 Photos
- Hamburg Hotels
- 1453 Reviews - 3460 Photos
- Stuttgart Hotels
- 612 Reviews - 1569 Photos
- Nürnberg Hotels
- 883 Reviews - 2997 Photos
- Karlsruhe Hotels
- 895 Reviews - 4115 Photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hotels
- 320 Reviews - 1065 Photos
- Koblenz Hotels
- 346 Reviews - 821 Photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Hotels
- 585 Reviews - 1823 Photos
- Fussen Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 479 Photos
- Würzburg Hotels
- 353 Reviews - 1189 Photos
- Dresden Hotels
- 1205 Reviews - 3542 Photos