"Adventure in 1987" Top 5 Page for this destination Jiuzhaigou by nepalgoods

Jiuzhaigou Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 870 photos

Highlight of my first trip to China

When I was the first time in China in 1987 I met a young German woman - Anita - who wanted to see Tibetians and their villages. But in 1987 it was not possible for Westerners to travel to Tibet. So she looked for another place to go. She found two sentences about a place called Juizhaigou in her guide-book. My guide-book had nothing about Jiuzhaigou in it. Just one sentence said, that there are Tibetan villages in Juizhaigou. So we decided to go to Juizhaigou. We had no idea, where this was, what we would find there. At the PSB in Chengdu a girl told us, where to buy a bus ticket to Jiuzhaigou. She also told us, that it would be a busride of about two days into the mountains west of Chengdu.

So this page will be about our adventure-trip to Jiuzhaigou.

This page is only about my adventures in 1987, when Jiuzhaigou was non existent on the tourist map of China. Many things have changed now: there is an airport and many, many hotels. The idyllic valleys and the beautiful nature are a big attraction for thousands of tourists from all over the world. I cannot blame them: it is very beautiful! But I am happy that I saw this beauty, when I was almost alone there.

I put some recent informations under "General Tips".

• Last visit to Jiuzhaigou: Oct 1987
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2006

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I loved reading about your adventures here! It's a shame if the area is being spoiled by the influx of tourists but it's the same dilemma as all over the world - we all want to see beautiful places but if we all rush to the same ones, they lose their beauty.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM

Thank you for your comment. I hope the landscape ist still as beautiful.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM

it is as beautiful Ulrike! i will have to hurry up and put more pics in but its such a stunning place - winter is a fantastic time to go and so so pleased i chose to go there 3 weeks ago! I have read its a nightmare in summer though with truly thousands there crammed in everywhere but winter its gorgeous. i would love to go and hike around for at least a week.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2014 at 1:26 AM

I am looking at going next week - do you think a winter visit is worthwhile?! unfortunately right now no flights from Xi'an - Id have to fly to Chengdu and either fly (theres a flight a couple of hours after the flight to Chengdu) or catch a 8-10 hour bus from Chengdu.
    Booking.com have a discount on a hotel im interested in with only 2 rooms left....so im here to check out some VT pages to help me decide!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

An interesting page, Ulrike, thanks for sharing !

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Excellent pictures and report

• Mar 19, 2006 at 9:45 AM

I'm going to Jiuzhaigou with this April. This nature reserve is not so popular among foreigners, I guess, so it has been pretty difficult finding websites about it. But your information has really helped me be more ready before my actual trip!! Danke

• darthmilmo's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 1:28 PM

What a wonderful page Ulrike! It's amazing to see your pictures before the mass-comercialization of China... Thanks for sharing the pics!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 6:12 PM

Great photos! What a beautiful place! I hope to visit Jiuzhaigou someday and see it's lakes.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 2:53 AM

What a beautiful scenery !!! And oh my, your adventure with hiking back sounds very exciting - but I believe, in these moments it was quite hard to do. This area would be one I would love to see and explore :-) Thanks for sharing !

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 7:02 AM

My university pal sms me to join her for Jiuzhaigou trip when i'm still touring Vietnam. The trip have to cancel due to my absent. Haha!!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2004 at 4:42 AM

Ulrike, this is a very special page that you have built here - I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your adventures - and I love the pictures, of course!!Thanks so much for sharing!

nepalgoods

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Badges & Stats in Jiuzhaigou

Have you been to Jiuzhaigou?

Latest Activity in Jiuzhaigou