"Tana" Top 5 Page for this destination Antananarivo by nepalgoods
Antananarivo Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 470 photos
I always felt a bit overrated by the Top 5 for my antananarivo-page, I now did some research to give you more detailed informations about this fascinating city:
Antananarivo formerly TANANARIVE, town and national capital of Madagascar, central Madagascar island. It was founded in the 17th century and was the capital of the Hova chiefs. It stands on a high hill. Avenues and flights of steps lead up to a rocky ridge (4,694 feet [1,431 m]) on which stands the Royal Estate, with towered palaces built by the Imerina kings who captured the town in 1794 and ruled until the end of the 19th century. Below are banks and administrative buildings and lower still the commercial quarter. Public buildings include the French Residency and the Anglican and Roman Catholic cathedrals; and there are research institutes, an observatory, and the Bibliothèque Nationale. The University of Madagascar was founded there in 1961.
The local people call their city shortly TANA
- In a nutshell:Tana is the heart of Madagaskar!
The Madagassy people are very clever and have many ideas, what beautiful things they can sell to tourists. This little... more travel advice
Tana is full of markets, where you can buy spices and other typical things. There is a special flower-market near the... more travel advice
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Antananarivo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antananarivo, my birthplace - Tana, my first home"
- "Tana was an unexpected delight!"
- "BET YOU CAN'T SAY IT 3 TIMES REALLY FAST !"
- "Three weeks in the highlands of Madagascar"
- "Antananarivo - 'Tana' to you."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antananarivo
- Hotels in Antananarivo
- Transportation in Antananarivo
- Nightlife in Antananarivo
- Restaurants in Antananarivo
- Shopping in Antananarivo
- Warnings and Dangers in Antananarivo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antananarivo
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Antananarivo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antananarivo
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 96 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 217 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos