Osh Things to Do Tips by nepalgoods
Osh Things to Do: 15 reviews and 35 photos
Osh has also some museums, that I unfortunately did not see:
- A small Archaeological-Cultural Museum with many of the ancient artefacts discovered in the city's environs.
- Historical-Ethnographic Museum: the Great Silk Road Museum, with some exhibitions focussing on trade and life during the times of the Silk Road.
The road from Sary Tash to Osh goes through some beautiful valleys and some small villages. In a bigger village there is a small museum dedicated to Kurmanjan Datka - the "Queen of the South". Kurmanjan Datka has been a Kyrkyz woman and nomadic leader about 100 years ago. She had opposed the Russian expansion in this region. She is now a national hero. Her picture can be found on the 50-som-note.
The museum shows some fotografs of her and other local public figures. You can also find an exhibition of local tools and musical instruments. Very impressive are also the pics of women who gave birth to 10 and more children and are regarded as local heroes. The museum has an interesting modern architecture ressembling a yurt. There is also a small shop opposit of the museum, where you can buy bread and a very good smoked cheese.
The name of the woman can also be written as Qurbanjan Dotka.
The bazaar of Osh is one of the biggest and lifeliest, that I saw on my Central Asia Trip. It is very picturesque, stretching for about a kilometer along the bank of a river. Here you buy literally everything! Fruits and vegetables, clothes, mobile phones, international brands of shampoo or shower gel.
I enjoyed strolling around on my own and trying to talk to people. Surprisingly many people speak German, but also Russian and sometimes English is understood. People are very friendly and try to udnerstand wnat you want. Germans can be mistakenly recognized as Russians. But that is no problem at all.
Until the sixteenth century this mountain was know as "Bara Kuch" or "Nice Mountain". It dominates the city. Only in the distance you can see the Mountains of Pamir in the dust. Suleiman MOuntainwas renaimed after the Muslim Prophet Suleyman Sheik, who buried at the foot of the mountain. But today the guides maybe tell you, that the mountain is named after King Salomon from the Old Testament, who has somehow flown to Osh and was buried here.
The mountain anyway is respected as a holy place. There is a big muslim graveyard at the foot of the mountain, as it is regarded very helpful on the way to paradise to be buried near a holy man.
Steep steps are leading to the top of the mountain from were you have a nice view on the town. On the way you pass a hole in the rocks. This is now known as the Tomb of Suleiman. Many women do a pilgrimage to this tomb as it is said to help women get a child.
On the top there is the House of Babur, a small mosque from 15th century. It has been build by Babur in 1497 who later became the founder of the Mogul Dynasty of India.
Many pilgrims come to the House of Babur. It is also said, that even Mohammed himself prayed here. So this is a very holy place for the local Muslims.
The climb up the mountain takes a minimum of 30 minutes. It can be very exhausting, when it is hot. The only shadow is on the top at the House of Babur.
From Sary Tash to Osh the road goes down. We are laeving the high mountain valleys of Pamir Alay. Osh is at the beginning of the Fergana Valley. This road is about 180km long. But it is in very bad condition, so the drive takes about 6 to 7 hours. The landscape is very impressive and we saw nomads with their cattle all the way.
Since some years it is said, that the road is under construction. We did not see much construction going on. Only on a small part were some machines doing almost nothing. So this road will be under construction for a few years more.
For some impressions of the spectacular landscape along the way please see my travelogue.
More Reviews (5)
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Osh Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Osh
- Hotels in Osh
- Transportation in Osh
- Warnings and Dangers in Osh
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nisida Nikouria Hotels
- Prefecture of Fokida Hotels
- King's Lynn
- Zermatt Hotels
- Glen Edith
- Tlaquepaque Hotels
- Pu'uhonua o Honaunau
- Pier 39
- Mule drawn carriage
- Sandefjord Things to Do
- Novo Mesto Things to Do
- Province of Mindoro Oriental Things to Do
- Museum of Art and History
- Wilmington Things to Do
- Fairmount Park Horticultural Center
- Beruwala Things to Do
- Schladming Things to Do
- Monument a Colon - Columbus Monument
Badges & Stats in Osh
- 10 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (31)
Have you been to Osh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Osh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 96 reviews, 203 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 208 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 42 reviews, 101 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos