"Almaty - The City of Apples" Top 5 Page for this destination Almaty by nepalgoods

Almaty Travel Guide: 345 reviews and 780 photos

A very green City

Almaty has been the capital of Kazakhstan from 1928 to 1998. Now Astana is the capital. But nevertheless Almaty is still the biggest city and a center of culture and commerce.

In Kazakhstan I only visited Almaty and the road to the Chineses Border, while with a group touring the Silkroad.

Almaty has not really been the highlight of this trip. But I think that Almaty is a nice city to spend two or three days. And maybe one should not compare it with cities like Kashgar or Samarkand, which I saw a few days after Almaty... ;-)

For more pics of Almaty...

... please click here: http://picasaweb.google.de/nepalgoods/Almaty

Next Stop on my Trip in June 2007:

Yining - China

My Yining page is finished - enjoy!

• Pros:A very green city with many parks and friendly people
  • Cons:Not really much to see
  • Last visit to Almaty: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2007

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Almaty is on my list for next year! Thanks for the tips Ulrike!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 12:40 AM

We were lucky enough to stay with friends who were living in Almaty. A nice page with some excellent photos. leyle

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 2:29 AM

Thx for sharing this part of the world. Useful info - greetz

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 2:21 AM

Ulrike, fantastic little page about the former capital of Kazakhstan. I like your brilliant photo of the tram. The Panfilow Park seems to be very impressive. Looking forward to meeting you in Karlsruhe for the "Gluehwein-Meeting".

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 1:51 AM

An attractive new page on what seems to me to be a very exotic destination (but I've never been to that part of the world thus far). Nice views of the mountains, but it's too bad about all those advertising signs in the most scenic places.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Fabulous new pages Ulrike, I enjoyed all your pics too. Greetings from West Cork!

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Brings nice memories back. Of course it can not be compared with Samarkand or Bukhara but I find it much nicer than Tashkent. Interesting page.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 12:34 AM

I've been to Almaty in Soviet times in 87. The church and the park and the yurt still look the same. I hope to do the Turksib one day and revisit this city. BTW, even the trams look partly the same.

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2007 at 6:18 AM

I'm excited to notice your work on a great trip on this fabulous region; some yrs ago my big trip also started here. No spectacular attractions, but your tips are very helpful, and pictures excellent. Enjoyed also t'log on Road to China!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 3:29 PM

I'm guessing that the "bathing river" is a bit on the cool side,right? I see all of those photos of ski areas and such. Very entertaining page, U.

nepalgoods

“Smile and the world smiles back at you!”

Badges & Stats in Almaty