Land Niedersachsen Things to Do Tips by nepalgoods Top 5 Page for this destination
Land Niedersachsen Things to Do: 50 reviews and 47 photos
Winter in the Forest
Between Hannover and Hamburg there is a wide strech of land, which is called the Lüneburger Heide. During the last centuries agriculture was not possible in the sandy ground. So people held sheep to earn their money. This sheep eating the gras and all short greens cultivated this landscape. Firtrees and wide areas of gras and heather are typical. Many tourists come here in the end of August to see the heather bloom.
For more please see my Lüneburger Heide-Seite
In the west of Lower Saxony are the Weser Mountains, a low range of mountains along the River Weser. Weserbergland has a nice foresty landscape.
Very famous is Hameln on Weser river with its fairy tale of the Pied Piper. The most wonderful timbered houses you'll find in Hannoversch Münden, a lovely little town at the confluence of Fulda and Werra Rivers, which from here on are called Weser.
Weserbergland is an area for recreation and wellness holidays. One of the nice Spas is Bad Pyrmont.
Typical Farmhouse in Wendland
Wendland, the Country of the Wend, named after a Slavic tribe, which lived there from about 1500 years ago until modern times. Today, there does no distinct Slavic population exist. But the special way of building circular villages still reminds us of their way of living.
After WWII, the Wendland became an almost forgotten area at the border to the GDR. Wendland was only mentioned in the news, when there was another riot or strike at Gorleben, where the ultimate dispostion of nuclear waste is planned.
The border divided the Wendland into two parts. There has been almost nothing more sad to see as this border, which fortunately has almost vanished now.
Wendland is today one of most lovely places in Germany with cosy little villages, small towns and wide farmland.
Directions: East from Uelzen
This the lovely small town, where I went to school. Bückeburg's Stadtkirche/City Church and its castle are beautiful examples of Weserrenaissance. These buildings are mainly build from Obernkirchen Sandstein, a sandstone, which is also used in buildings all over Europe, for example - I think - Versaille in Paris.
In the castle a real prince is living with his family.
Well, there is so much to tell about beautiful Bückeburg, that maybe I soon shall build its own page.
The Bird's Park near Walsrode is an absolute must!! The Park is surrounded by wonderful forests. It shows thousands of birds from all over the world.
I loved the Keas from New Zealand most. And I even saw the grey macpies there, which I know from Beijing.
Einhornhöhle near Scharzfeld
Harz Mountains are the highest mountains in the south of Lower Saxony. Beautiful forests are ideal for hiking and biking. In Winter it is possible to ski.
In the caves of the Harz we found proof, that already the Neanderthal Men lived here.
On the meadows between the forest you'll find many rare plants like orchids.
Hannover is the capital of Lower Saxony with about half a million inhabitants. The city was badly destroyed during WWII. Today it is a modern city with busy streets, big departement stores and many bars and restaurants.
The few buildings left from times before WWII are wellkept. A walk through our Old Town is a walk through many centuries. But Hannover is mainly famous for more recent buildings (for example the twisted Gery Tower), its fairs, EXPO2000 and one of the most lovely zoos in whole Europe.
More Reviews (6)
nepalgoods' Related Pages
Land Niedersachsen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lower Saxony"
- "Lower Saxony - my beloved country"
- "Lower Saxony"
- "Welcome to LOWER SAXONY"
- "Excavation in Wendland"
- "Wonderful Nine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Niedersachsen
- Hotels in Land Niedersachsen
- Transportation in Land Niedersachsen
- Nightlife in Land Niedersachsen
- Restaurants in Land Niedersachsen
- Shopping in Land Niedersachsen
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Niedersachsen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Land Niedersachsen
- 144 Reviews
- 287 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Land Niedersachsen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Niedersachsen
Photos in Land NiedersachsenSee All Photos (287)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 96 reviews, 204 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination China Intro, 80 reviews, 217 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hannover Intro, 83 reviews, 135 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamburg Intro, 43 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 30 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukhara Intro, 32 reviews, 69 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asia Intro, 25 reviews, 72 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 26 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing Intro, 16 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turpan Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos