"São Tomé and Príncipe" São Tomé and Príncipe by Ekahau
São Tomé and Príncipe Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 136 photos
São Tomé is descried as having a Christian tradition for 4 centuries and “I know his is so because it has for the same four centuries probable the most brutal history of mans inhumanity to man” of almost any were on the face of the earth.
São Tomé had an inhuman Portuguese penal colony, slavery with the highest death rates in the world, the place the Portuguese sent their Jewish “orphans” (this is the population that makes up the majority of the current 'mestizos', or Creoles). São Tomé was one of the last places on earth to officially give up slaver ( Saudi Arabia was the last) but this was replace by a even more brutal “contract labor until death system”. In fact a national holiday is celebrated on the anniversary of the 1953 Batepá Massacre" when the goverment of Portugal put down a revolt of "contract labor" and several hundred people died. That right right up to the 1970s a system of "slavery" went on.
But that being said it is a VT destination of great interest to folks like me because of its remote but amazing beauty. In recent years it even has became a very posh resort tourist destination for the folks who like to do a “within the walls holiday resort trip to the isolated tropical beaches”
São Tomé and Príncipe have beautiful unspoiled diving, beaches to die for that have not been walked on by a tourist in 100 years, Portuguese forts estates and buildings that are some of the best examples in the world. Fort of São Sebastião is considered one of the very best and most well preserved colonial Portuguese forts in the world. The Bello Monte estate on the island of Principe, a beautiful Portuguese estate and mansion and the Agustinho Neto Mansion in São Tomé wow what beautiful Portuguese colonial history.
- Pros:small remote very Foreign
- Cons:small remote very Foreign
- In a nutshell:gem waiting to be found
São Tomé Intl (TMS) is about 5 km/ from town and the cost was about 8 Euros when I made the trip to the hotel and the... more travel advice
Belo Monte is no run of the mill normal hotel. It is a remote laid back peaceful place that only has a few guests to... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
São Tomé and Príncipe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "São Tomé and Príncipe"
- "ubiq Sao Tome & Principe"
- "kimmo_v's new Sao Tome&Principe Page"
- "lovely small islands"
- "Normb74's new Sao Tome&Principe Page"
- "Just the perfect place"
- "art-ur's new Sao Tome&Principe Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Hotels in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Transportation in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Restaurants in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Warnings and Dangers in São Tomé and Príncipe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in São Tomé and Príncipe
- 11 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to São Tomé and Príncipe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in São Tomé and Príncipe
- Commented on one of Ekahau's São Tomé and Príncipe tips
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Climb Pico de São Tomé"
- Wrote a Review Cab from Airport in São Tomé and Príncipe Transportation
- updated a São Tomé and Príncipe Travel Page "São Tomé and Príncipe"
Photos in São Tomé and PríncipeSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues