"Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by Ekahau
Djibouti Travel Guide: 230 reviews and 1,324 photos
Now this is a place with fond memories on my first of 12 trips to this place on the horn of Africa I was watching TV and Hassan Gouled Aptidon the President of Djibouti announced he was going home for the month of July. Home to his villa in France the president of a place but he considers France home. This really summed it up every time I went in my official capacity to visit a Djiboutian official they would say hi give me tea and than out of a closet from the back of a room would come a French functionary who would take care of the business at hand.
The Republic of Djibouti is a small country only 8,250 square miles located at the the spot that the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden meet the Bab-el-Mandeb. Since independence from France in 1977, Djibouti has pursued a moderate foreign policy. Djibouti's population of approximately 600,000 is predominantly Muslim and mainly of Somali or Afar origin. The main languages are French and Somali, and little English is spoken. There is a small but influential Arab population, mainly from Yemen, and a European community of approximately 10,000, primarily French. Djibouti is France's largest foreign military base. Djibouti is host to several thousand French military personnel, including the 13e Démi-Brigade de la Légion Étrangère (13e DBLE - 13th Half-Brigade of the Foreign Legion) and is the home port of the French Indian Ocean Fleet.
Now time for an intresting story well at least intresting to this VTer. It was very early on a very hot Bastille Day, the Fourteenth of July and I went down to see the Bastille Day Parade of the French Foreign Legion. They had a large group march by than a long pause and another long group march by. I asked my friend from tne Freanch Navy what was that he explained that - The 13th Brigade was deployed in the Battle of Bir Hakeim. Interestingly, part of the Legion was loyal to the Free French movement, yet another part was loyal to the Vichy government. A battle in Syria saw two opposing sides fight against each other in a short engagement, and later on the Vichy Legion joined its Free French brethren. Because half deserted General Gegal declarded it a Demi-one half brigade. It has been know ever since as the 13th Démi-Brigade de la Légion Étrangère even though it is at full a Brigade strength.
- Pros:So much to do so few tourist
Very good Indian -- nice owner Tandoori fish Boneless spiced fish meat cooked to perfection in an extremely hot... more travel advice
• ALLO PIZZA SARL - HERON (Djibouti Ville) • BLUE NILE (Djibouti Ville) • HOTEL RESIDENCE DE L’EUROPE (Djibouti Ville) •... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Djibouti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S HOT !"
- "Djibouti: Africa's Worst Tourist Trap"
- "Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this"
- "Djibouti: land of contrast & good diving"
- "In A Different World"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djibouti
- Hotels in Djibouti
- Transportation in Djibouti
- Nightlife in Djibouti
- Restaurants in Djibouti
- Shopping in Djibouti
- Warnings and Dangers in Djibouti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djibouti
- 14 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Djibouti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djibouti
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues