"Djibouti -- It does not get hotter than this" Top 5 Page for this destination Djibouti by Ekahau

Djibouti Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 1,017 photos

Now this is a place with fond memories on my first of 12 trips to this place on the horn of Africa I was watching TV and Hassan Gouled Aptidon the President of Djibouti announced he was going home for the month of July. Home to his villa in France the president of a place but he considers France home. This really summed it up every time I went in my official capacity to visit a Djiboutian official they would say hi give me tea and than out of a closet from the back of a room would come a French functionary who would take care of the business at hand.

The Republic of Djibouti is a small country only 8,250 square miles located at the the spot that the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden meet the Bab-el-Mandeb. Since independence from France in 1977, Djibouti has pursued a moderate foreign policy. Djibouti's population of approximately 600,000 is predominantly Muslim and mainly of Somali or Afar origin. The main languages are French and Somali, and little English is spoken. There is a small but influential Arab population, mainly from Yemen, and a European community of approximately 10,000, primarily French. Djibouti is France's largest foreign military base. Djibouti is host to several thousand French military personnel, including the 13e Démi-Brigade de la Légion Étrangère (13e DBLE - 13th Half-Brigade of the Foreign Legion) and is the home port of the French Indian Ocean Fleet.

Now time for an intresting story well at least intresting to this VTer. It was very early on a very hot Bastille Day, the Fourteenth of July and I went down to see the Bastille Day Parade of the French Foreign Legion. They had a large group march by than a long pause and another long group march by. I asked my friend from tne Freanch Navy what was that he explained that - The 13th Brigade was deployed in the Battle of Bir Hakeim. Interestingly, part of the Legion was loyal to the Free French movement, yet another part was loyal to the Vichy government. A battle in Syria saw two opposing sides fight against each other in a short engagement, and later on the Vichy Legion joined its Free French brethren. Because half deserted General Gegal declarded it a Demi-one half brigade. It has been know ever since as the 13th Démi-Brigade de la Légion Étrangère even though it is at full a Brigade strength.

• Pros:So much to do so few tourist
  • Cons:$$$
  • Intro Updated May 28, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Hi, Paul, thanks for your informative and exciting pages that make me wanna go there... Take care, mate!

• Jan 13, 2008 at 12:04 PM

A good page from an educated person. Just back from Djibouti and reading VT comments on my home country, I see too many unfair comments coming from ignorant people who imagined that because it is Africa, it was going to be cheap and full of lions.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Very interesting page. You give a good overall impression of what it's like to visit Djibouti.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 4:39 PM

a small wave can sink a ferry? that is a bit scarey.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 7:21 AM

I really ennjoy reading about these obscure places that are well off the beaten tourist path.

• grets's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 1:48 AM

A very refreshing page, as not many people have anything good to say about Djibouti on VT. That dhow sank while we were there and we saw the wreck in the harbour.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2006 at 7:34 AM

An amazingly interesting account of your Djibouti experiences! It sounds like quite an exotic spot and I would not mind that train ride myself! Beautiful photos of the area too.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 9:39 PM

Djibouti another great page. Enjoyed reading about this African country. SL

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 6:17 AM

This is the most useful personal Djibouti page I have seen on the web. Tx for the very practical tips, and yes, I did swim with the whale sharks!!!

• Hildeal's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2006 at 4:38 AM

interesting page, and great pictures! I would like to go there soon.

Ekahau

“""I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over"”

Badges & Stats in Djibouti

Have you been to Djibouti?

Latest Activity in Djibouti