"Angola -- Portuguese Africa well almost" Top 5 Page for this destination Angola by Ekahau
Angola Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 795 photos
I visited Angola as part of my duties in the Dept of State a number of times but stayed most of the time in Luanda. Luanda rests over a crescent shaped bay covered with palm. One of the more beautiful place is Mussulo island, a half an hour or less ride by a fast off the cost just south of Luanda.
Luanda sucks one in really and I never expected that traveling there for work –Why the gentle VT reader may ask is Luanda seductive -- well because of the sounds the smells of the sea mixed with jungle Portugal in Africa. Luanda with the wonderful tropical sea, changing colors in the sunset highlighted by the shapes of the palm trees and the mysterious huge baobads. Next or maybe first come the people what wonderful kind folks and good friend I have made in Luanda. And did I mention colors mixed with the scents of tropical bushes, yes few places in on the globe offer such continuously mesmerizing music and mixed with ingenuity, warmth, generosity and kindness.
And beyond the city of Luanda one finds fascination and beauty, the jungles and bush the flutter of pretty butterflies over the streams, the magnificent waterfalls at Calendula and this all tossed together with the, the heart-rendering sadness of the what was once a beautiful Portuguese provincial town. When I first traveled to Luanda it was down right dangerous. In fact on one trip all the US embassy staff crawled under the trailer temporary building we called an embassy to get behind the concert blocks and hopfully protect us from fast moving lead. Angola seams to have move on well beyond all of that it is however still not a place to go without a plan and some security around you when you leave the major cities I would recommend you ask your embassy and or use a respected trusted guide company to help keep you out of trouble.
Angola seems to have move on well beyond all of that it is however still not a place to go without a plan and some security around you when you leave the major cities I would recommend you ask your embassy and or use a respected trusted guide company to help keep you out of trouble.
- Pros:colors and scents of the tropical bush
- Cons:still in recovery
- In a nutshell:beautiful but not unspoilt
Not sure what you would want to do in Government center but is is worth a drive by and a photo. I happen to show up with... more travel advice
One of the largest handicraft markets in Angola is the Futungo market, just south of Luanda. It is the main hub of the... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Angola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "To Angola on a cruise in April 2016"
- "ANGOLA - Young, Happy & Proud."
- "Angola -- Portuguese Africa well almost"
- "THIS IS A CRIME !!!"
- "Angola - The forgotten land"
- "Lovely but unfortunate country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Angola
- Hotels in Angola
- Transportation in Angola
- Nightlife in Angola
- Restaurants in Angola
- Shopping in Angola
- Warnings and Dangers in Angola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Angola
- 14 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Angola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Angola
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues