"Angola -- Portuguese Africa well almost" Top 5 Page for this destination Angola by Ekahau

Angola Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 553 photos

Luanda

I visited Angola as part of my duties in the Dept of State a number of times but stayed most of the time in Luanda. Luanda rests over a crescent shaped bay covered with palm. One of the more beautiful place is Mussulo island, a half an hour or less ride by a fast off the cost just south of Luanda.

Luanda is seductive as well

Luanda sucks one in really and I never expected that traveling there for work –Why the gentle VT reader may ask is Luanda seductive -- well because of the sounds the smells of the sea mixed with jungle Portugal in Africa. Luanda with the wonderful tropical sea, changing colors in the sunset highlighted by the shapes of the palm trees and the mysterious huge baobads. Next or maybe first come the people what wonderful kind folks and good friend I have made in Luanda. And did I mention colors mixed with the scents of tropical bushes, yes few places in on the globe offer such continuously mesmerizing music and mixed with ingenuity, warmth, generosity and kindness.

And beyond the city of Luanda one finds fascination and beauty, the jungles and bush the flutter of pretty butterflies over the streams, the magnificent waterfalls at Calendula and this all tossed together with the, the heart-rendering sadness of the what was once a beautiful Portuguese provincial town. When I first traveled to Luanda it was down right dangerous. In fact on one trip all the US embassy staff crawled under the trailer temporary building we called an embassy to get behind the concert blocks and hopfully protect us from fast moving lead. Angola seams to have move on well beyond all of that it is however still not a place to go without a plan and some security around you when you leave the major cities I would recommend you ask your embassy and or use a respected trusted guide company to help keep you out of trouble.

lesson in surviving

Angola seems to have move on well beyond all of that it is however still not a place to go without a plan and some security around you when you leave the major cities I would recommend you ask your embassy and or use a respected trusted guide company to help keep you out of trouble.

• Pros:colors and scents of the tropical bush
  • Cons:still in recovery
  • In a nutshell:beautiful but not unspoilt
  • Last visit to Angola: Dec 1999
  • Intro Updated May 31, 2007

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM

I am impressed with your work tracing the origins of the native music and dance and the transfer of cultures. The State Dept. again!?! Great page!

• IsabelBalboa's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Having visited several countries in Africa including Botswana last month, we want to continue traveling there. I've been dying to go to Namibia but now I wonder if Zambia, Angola or Gabon wouldn't be more "rad," shall we say? Any thoughts?

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Once again, great page and a sin what some African nations go through but I am more impressed with their resilience and their ability to move forward. Nice page ;)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM

the fandango! AND the samba.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Did not expect such varied night life there! Only saw Angola singer Waldemar Bastos here and really liked him. I glanced over rapidly some of your pages... Well, I'm simply enraptured with the destinations you visited!! Will certainly come back soon :))

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM

Cool pages on Angola. The picture of food does look yummy. I think the music is better. Cheers, SL

• eddymario's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 8:45 PM

Your comment gives a good view on the current situation in Angola. I will visit the country in a few months.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 6:05 AM

Good page! Have you really visited all the 112 countries on your map or maybe have you just gone across some of them? You have been to many "unusual" countries!

• jungles's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 5:42 AM

Wonderfully insightful tips and intro. I hope to visit one day.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2005 at 1:58 AM

Great page... the Esplanade looks very nice!!

Ekahau

“""I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over"”

Badges & Stats in Angola