"Poughkeepsie is both a City and a Town - really" Poughkeepsie by Ekahau
Poughkeepsie Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 74 photos
Poughkeepsie is both a City and a Town (ya that was confusing to me too) about 60 miles north of New York City and on the East bank of the Hudson River Poughkeepsie was started by the Dutch in 1687 this is very old by USA standards. The Wappinger Indians, who are part of the Algonquin nation is where the name Poughkeepsie comes "the reed covered lodge by the little-water place” is what it means. Baltus Balthazar Barntz Van (from) Kleeck (the town in Holland where he had lived) was the Dutch guy who set up house in this part of the Hudson first or so it is believed. Better know as uncle baltus. Poughkeepsie is the seat of government for the county of Dutchess misspelled with a “T” in it -- in honor of Mary, Duchess of York, who became Queen Mary when her Husband became King James II of the United Kingdom.
Dutchess county became the playground of the really supper rich in the time know as the gilded age with such estates of the old wealth like the Roosevelt’s or richest financiers and industrialists, like Vanderbilts, Astors, Morgans, that sort of crowd built their Mansions along the Hudson. Also the inventor of the Morse Code built a grand place know as Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie he had a “small” Tuscan Villa on a large hunk of land in the middle of Poughkeepsie City or town not sure which.
OK you are a budget traveler but want someplace nice to stay and visit the Hudson valley. Well a good place for you... more travel advice
Vassar College -- Is one of the top dozen Liberal Arts colleges in the USA (as rated by the US News and world report) .... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Poughkeepsie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOW THE HECK DO YOU SPELL IT"
- "Poughkeepsie is both a City and a Town - really"
- "Shopping & A Snack"
- "marca's new Poughkeepsie Page"
- "POUGHKEEPSIE AS SEEN FROM A FATHER'S POINT OF VIEW"
- "JCLOTREL's new Poughkeepsie Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poughkeepsie
- Hotels in Poughkeepsie
- Transportation in Poughkeepsie
- Nightlife in Poughkeepsie
- Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poughkeepsie
- 6 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Poughkeepsie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poughkeepsie
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- Commented on one of moiraistyx's Poughkeepsie travel pages
- Wrote a Review Poughkeepsie deal at the Vassar... in Poughkeepsie Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Poughkeepsie deal at the Vassar Alumnae House in"
- created a Poughkeepsie Travel Page "Poughkeepsie is both a City and a Town - really"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues