"New Paltz" New Paltz by Ekahau
New Paltz Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 292 photos
French Huguenots start the settlement of New Paltz in 1677 but before they landed in the “new world” they went to Germany for their safety as well they were not all that popular in France of the 1670s. The area the fled to in German was called in German the Rhein Pfalz but with a silent f so we get the NEW Paltz on this side of the Atlantic. But in fact they really called it the French Nouveau Palatinat. The ruled themselves via a group of 12 called a Duzine, referring to the twelve partners who got the noble patent for the colony.
Now it is a University Village with lots of nice little shops and places to eat. The area around is full of vineyards, mountain parks and Kiwi’s and Tina’s all time favorites Big Ear BEARS.
Come and enjoy Nouveau Palatinat or New Paltz New York. These early French refugees where who brought wine to us VTers live on this side of the Atlantic. The area has lots of nice wineries and it was these folks who (saved the French) by grafting French vines on Native American grape roots.
- Pros:Cute Village
- Cons:Can be touristy cute village
- In a nutshell:American French roots and where wine started
This is a really great place to stay for a VT from over the seas as you will get to meet real people in the owners and... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
New Paltz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TIE DYE, TREES, BEER, FOOD, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED"
- "No words to describe New Paltz"
- "Historical Town"
- "A Day at Mohonk Mountain"
- "New Paltz -A surprisingly nice place to visit."
- "New Paltz"
- "New Paltz lover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Paltz
- Hotels in New Paltz
- Transportation in New Paltz
- Nightlife in New Paltz
- Restaurants in New Paltz
- Shopping in New Paltz
- Warnings and Dangers in New Paltz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Paltz
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to New Paltz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Paltz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 28 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues