"Flushing, Queens part of New York City" Top 5 Page for this destination Flushing by Ekahau
Flushing Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 67 photos
Flushing has the largest population of Asian American in New York area about 60% of the population is in fact Asian with very large Korean community from Union Street going West and a large Chinese from Main Street going east.
Flushing is to this VTer who loves the mix of cultures a wonderful place to see the American experience in action from the view of the Asians like Korean, and Chinese
Flushing is adding in more recent times South Asians and Latin American who are all mixing with an older Dutch, English, Jewish and African American "melting pot".
Like many places in the New York area the place was settled by the Dutch in the 1640s the Dutch names the place Vlissingen after a town in the Netherlands which morphed to Flushing over the years. Flushing quickly became a place where English refugees settled under the Dutch authority. John Brown is the most famous example a Quaker who moved from Boston in about 1660. He was arrested for being a Quaker sent to Holland for Trial and this forces Governor Stuyvesant by court order to allow for religious freedom in all sects. The Quaker Meeting house in Flushing is reported to be the second oldest place of worship still in use in America.
- In a nutshell:Real American melting pot with Asian flavor
This building in the photo may not look like much from Northern Boulevard in Flushing but it is one of the most famous... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Flushing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flushing As It Was"
- "Flushing -the largest urban center in the Queens"
- "Welcome to Flushing"
- "Flushing, Queens part of New York City"
- "FLUSHING: Little Korea, U.S. Open, New York Mets"
- "Scotzman's new Flushing Page"
- "The Place where I grew down.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flushing
- Hotels in Flushing
- Transportation in Flushing
- Restaurants in Flushing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flushing
- 2 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Flushing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flushing
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- updated a Flushing Travel Page "Flushing, Queens part of New York City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Culture watching in Flushing"
- Wrote a Review Flushing Quaker Meeting in Flushing Things to Do
- Commented on one of gilabrand's Flushing travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues