"Johnston Atoll" Johnston Atoll by Ekahau
Johnston Atoll Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Johnston Island – This Vter went to Johnston a long time ago I as an USAF flight surgeon and epidemiologist studying Agent Orange health effects (Project Ranch hand). Johnston atoll at the time was a chemical warfare agents disposal area where the Military ran a “Chemical Demilitarization facility” known as the Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System. From July through Nov of 1962 Johnston was used to detonate 5 high altitude nuclear devices, Bluegill, Chama, Kingfish, and Starfish I &II as part of the atomic bombs test program. In fact Starfish Starfish 1 was the most powerful space based explosion or at least it is listed as such in the Guinness book of world record.
In the late 1990s they started to prepare to close the military facility this was completed in mid 2005 and the Air force base and the airfield were deactivated.
When I was there the Island had a population of about 1200 to 1300 people about 300 hundred military and a thousand US defense department contractors on the island.
Johnston as AFB
Johnston nice photo essay as it is being turned back to wildlife refuge
Johnston as the new national wildlife refuge
It glows in the Dark – this photo is public domain From the US Dept of Energy
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Pacific/Remote Islands National Wildlife Refuge Complex
300 Ala Moana Boulevard
Room 5-231, Box 50167
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96850
(808) 792-9586 fax
Entry to the refuge is by Special Use Permit only.
Ekahau's Related Pages
Johnston Atoll Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johnston Atoll
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Johnston Atoll?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johnston Atoll
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues