"Republic of Belau" Top 5 Page for this destination Palau by Ekahau

Palau Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 592 photos

Unspoiled reefs with battlefields

Palau or the Republic of Belau is one of the most amazing diving spots on this planet. Opening Video Palau

I stayed at a island of my own for three days it was great!!!!!!! The Rock Islands are the most beautiful sea scene well I have ever seen. Far to the south and west of Micronesia Belau consists of an archipelago of about 350 islands. It is spread north to south over 100 miles form the atoll of Kayangel to the island of Angaur plus five tiny islands, known as the southwest islands with Tobi state and Helen reef and Island at the far south.

Palau's profuse, unspoiled reefs offer a wealth of marine life, coral formations and wrecks. Dives begin in knee deep water and plunge straight down to depths of 1000 feet and more.
Blue holes, huge caverns and an immense variety of rare and exotic marine species are easily accessible in clear water with visibility exceeding 200 feet. Vast numbers, not found anywhere else in the world, of large pelagic predators, sharks, turtles, dolphins and many species of migratory fish gather here at a unique crossroads of three of the world's major ocean currents. Land locked marine lakes, accessible from the sea through tunnels beneath the island's steep shorelines, are home to rare jelly fish, anemones and soft corals.

Palau's famed "Rock Islands" are a collection of rounded, foliage-covered isles which seem to float above the surface of the water. A boat trip through them will reveal a number of magnificent white sand beach hideaways perfect for a secluded picnic or adventurous overnight stay. Below the water's surface, divers and snorkelers are treated to a diverse technicolor paradise of fabulous drop-offs, blue holes , breathtaking reefs, crystal caves and World War II wrecks.

Japanese view Palau and JapanJapanPalau

Battle of Angaur Angaur

Battle of Peleliu PeleliuPalau

2013 Palau Return and Uyghurs visit

So you have just spent a few weeks working in Asia you have a least a zillion Freqent flyer miles and you want a break before the long flight back to the USA or Europe now that Delta has a flight from Tokyo-Narita, Japan (NRT) to Palau-Koror, PW (ROR) you can as I did in may of 2013 take a 3 or 4 day stay in Palau a my favorite little getaway. This is a 5 hour flight and they leave at 6;30 on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Tokyo-Narita so I planed my trip to land in NRT in the afternoon eat some sushi than fly to paradise for a few day

Having first visited and dived on Palau in 1975 and a lucky few times since I always look forward to getting back. Having just been in western china I decided to also make this a bit of a mission on mercy. You see over three years ago 6 Uighur men were released from Guantánamo and ended up in Palau. Long story and if your interest you can watch the video below or Google it and read but I though hay these guys most miss stuff from China - so I stopped in a story that specialized in all things Uighur bought a big nap sack and filled it up and load it on the plane with me. When I tracked them down (that is easy to do in Palau there appreciation for that little kindness was priceless for me just priceless.

President of Palau talks about Uyghurs Uyghurs-Palau

People the culture

I first came to Palau 38 years ago attracted by the diving and a photo I had seen in national geographic it was a way out of the way still unheard part of the world than. Put what draws me back as a place to escape are the Palauans their rich culture and wonderful hospitality. Even when “overrun by tourist” I so appreciate the willingness of locals to invite us in and share.
Palau and early people early-people-Palau

Over the course of the a short 3 day return visit in 2013 I once again come to appreciate the most wonderful aspect of Palau not in the dive book its the people and their culture.

• Last visit to Palau: May 2013
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2013

• JoseC's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Photo is of Ngerukeuid Islands Wildlife Preserve close to rock islands topworldimages.com/french/Ng...

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
      Sep 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM

yes it is Ngerukeuid Islands one of the Rock Islands that are situated between Koror Island and Peleliu and they are just amazingly beautiful worth a trip others in the rock Island group are fs.fed.us/psw/topics/ecosyst...

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM

What an incredible page, story - and what an incredible guy. A true treasure of VT! Get to know this guy, people :)

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I would so love to fly over those Rock Islands and take photos!!

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
      May 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM

only one stop from AKL to ROR via Air china, Korean Airlines, and ANA

• kiwi's Profile Photo
      May 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I"m taking note :-)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 4:17 AM

My links are virtual, i once had a crazt Scot who wanted to supply a management control of Electricity in Palau and nearby powers, wanted hardware from SAFrica, that's before "made in C..." appeared - had it worked, i;d have more details on my VY pages ;-)))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Paul, congratulations on being a privileged discoverer of that remote place for three days there! Great!

• ollyf's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Beaches and seas look even better than American Samoa - and for you to say they're the best you've ever seen is really some compliment!

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2007 at 6:47 AM

Breathtaking view of Rock Islands. Just can't wait to step my feet on this island end 2007. It will be the trip of a lifetime for me.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2007 at 7:01 AM

It's magic!! The scenery and underwater world are really breathtaking!! And Angaur is definitely my sort of place :))

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Nirvana for divers and local pols. I understand there is 50 States here! Every other family has a Senator. Thanks for the tips and pics!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Wow Paul :-)) This is another of these fantastic off path places !! Your intro photo is.... simply magic !!

Ekahau

“""I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over"”

Badges & Stats in Palau