"YAP -- Where Tradition and Culture is King" State of Yap by Ekahau
State of Yap Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 42 photos
First of all the Culture of Micronesia is just as rich and interesting as those in Polynesia and Melanesia and right here in Yap the culture is really amazing. Yap is the most traditional of all of the Islands and they place a huge value on their culture, dance and art.
10 MINUTE VIDEO OF YAP
The State of Yap is part of the Federated State of Micronesia and is located in the Far Western end of the Caroline’s those Island that run east and west across the Pacific just north of the equator. This is the place of the exotic pacific island dancing and of huge hand carved stone money.
For those of you who are into literary connection Yap is the “setting” for the book "Island of the Sequined Love Nun" which was written by the well know absurdest author Christopher Moore and it is based partly on the author's own personal experiences in Yap. *
Yap is such an amazing culture the first time I was in Yap the local legislature was debating preventing Yapese women from wearing traditional western cloths and from covering their breast.
There are 4 languages spoken on the Islands in the State of Yap, Yapese which is spoken on the Island of Yap and nearby Islands. In the Outer Islands the languages of Ulithian, Woleaian, and Satawalese are also spoken.
Because they were under Spanish, German, Japanese than USA control many older folks speak Japanese and I meet a few really old ones in the 1970s on my first visit that spoke German. However there is a mixture of a little of all the colonial languages in Yapese and the young people all went to school in English and that is the second language.
In Yapese culture dance and music is really important and this is really something special to see on your VT visit. The villages are divided into family groups and a large family group will have three types of dwellings the community house is the largest where everyone gets together to dance sing and count their stone money. Then the nuclear families each have a sleeping house finally there is the men’s club house. Also no kitchen cooking is outside in a separate covered area but not enclosed.
Rai or Yapese stone money, is still of value and exchanged on Yap they are about a foot or two wide and up to 12 feet with a hole in the middle used to carry it. The value is based on the type of stone the size how much risk went into getting it and the history of the Rai.*
- Pros:A top 10 diving spot --plus traditional culture
- In a nutshell:exotic
The Veranda View Conservatory Restaurant Is made out of the old Japanese WW2 observation bunker. Yes your eating on a... more travel advice
Travel to the Yap Federated states of Micronesia as of this writing in July of 2007 only available via Guam and Palau... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
State of Yap Travel Guide
- Things to Do in State of Yap
- Hotels in State of Yap
- Transportation in State of Yap
- Restaurants in State of Yap
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Yap
- 6 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to State of Yap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Yap
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 33 reviews, 191 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues