"North Fresia" Top 5 Page for this destination Land Schleswig-Holstein by Ekahau
Land Schleswig-Holstein Travel Guide: 801 reviews and 2,366 photos
I have always wanted to visit Friesland as I have an interest in isolated languages and cultures and the Frisan languages is the closest cousin language to English. So when invited by a friend to Husum in the center of Nordfriesland to spend a few days exploring the Frisan language and culture I jumped at it.
The Frisii are the only West Germanic people whose language culture and very name survives from Roman times in history. This is the group of folks who kicked the Romans ass at the Battle of Baduhennawood after they hung the Roman Tax man. Ya got to love them right but they are hanging on by a thumbnail now as a distinct language and culture.
Husum is the major city in North Fresiland and was described by its best know and favorite son, author Theodor Storm, as... more travel advice
One place to learn more about the Frisian people their language and culture is at the Nissenhaus, this also happens to... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Land Schleswig-Holstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the northern-most part of Germany"
- "The transition zone between Germany and Denmark"
- "North Fresia"
- "The Land of Wind and Water"
- "Germany's Far North"
- "Kiel Canal"
- "Almost in Scandinavia -- Schleswig Holstein"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Hotels in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Transportation in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Nightlife in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Restaurants in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Shopping in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Land Schleswig-Holstein
- 5 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Land Schleswig-Holstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Land Schleswig-Holstein
Photos in Land Schleswig-HolsteinSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues