"A small walk across Antarctica" Antarctica by Ekahau
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,190 reviews and 2,809 photos
"I felt as though I had been plumped upon another planet or into another geologic horizon of Which man had no knowledge or memory."---
Richard Evelyn Byrd.
Flying down the Antarctic Peninsula there are towering mountains that rise abruptly out of the sea, shrouded with thick glaciers. The sea is alive in icebergs of fanciful shape and impossible hue floating on glossy waters, like rough-cut diamonds scattered by a giant unseen hand. Antarctica's ethereal landscape shimmers with a savage beauty and raw power that exceeded the expectations of even a jaded traveler like me.
The President Frei base I visited is home to 500 people year around with a small clinic, a bank, store, church all in bright orange as to not get lost in white: A small town on the ice really. In this most elemental
of environments, a vast array of wildlife, impressive in its sheer variety and numbers The wildlife is astonishing, given the frozen, unforgiving landscape that harbors it, millions of penguins, thousands of seals, whales, and countless seabirds.
Antarctica is magic and profoundly affecting this lucky traveler.
Next stop Patroit Hills
I found a mother and pup a few meters offshore lying in a very nice worm spot in the sunshine. The baby seal pup had just been born and was so cute. Sorry but even this jaded VT traveler, let slip the odd "Aaa". Now Giampiero on the other hand with his reporter background could have with no question handled this situation in a proper stoic scientific manner. The mother seemed totally unconcerned at our interest in her pup.
The baby seal pup reluctantly rolled her head at me and peaked out of one of his sooooo big eyes. Padding his soft cute belly with the front of his flipper he stared at me, in a take it or leave it way, going up and down with her eyes before just rolling over and going back to sleep.
Kind of like that wonderful page on VT up for a year and only two view one of those events that keep you humble.
Aurora Australis is just a beautiful looking south as Aurora Borealis is looking north
The World's Second South Pole Marathon
'Adventure Network International has been taking travelers into the Antarctic interior for over fifteen years. Some have searched for peace and tranquility. Others went seeking a buzz they had never experienced before. Adventure Network International has always been pioneering and individualistic, but this time it?s different.
After being flown to approximately 89.5?S, where a flagged route of 26.2 miles extends to the South Pole, competitors will make history as they make miles. The hushed, indomitable land surrounding runners will provide the backdrop. True groundbreaking adventure and pure exhilaration provide the driving force.
The team will be flown into Antarctica on a Hercules C-130. A few days of preparation at Adventure Network International?s Patriot Hills base camp precedes the flight to the starting line. Organization will be thorough and careful, with runners? safety and comfort the most crucial focus of the event. Manned stop points will be carefully placed en-route, along with a spirited audience. The end of the Marathon will be followed by photo sessions at the ceremonial Pole, then some days? relaxation and celebration back at Patriot Hills. Soon after, the victorious group will depart from Antarctica and fly back to reality, to the welcoming arms of family and friends and the admiration of their home countries.
This will be an intense contest. Competitors need to be fit, strong and determined. A desire for radical challenge and an attitude that will take you to the extreme are essential.
World's first South Pole marathon to take place on, January 8 or 9th (weather permitting)
Antarctic slide show and presentation including information on your flight South, the weather situation and what to expect on your arrival in Antarctica as well as historical information about the South Pole
Fly over Tierra del Fuego, the southernmost area in Chile
See the spectacular Ellsworth Mountains, the highest range in Antarctica
After the run, if time and logistics permit, you will be given a guided tour of the South Pole station
Duration: 9 Days
Price From: $25,000
Departure Dates: January 3 or Jan 4 every year.
- Pros:very cold
- Cons:very cold
- In a nutshell:very cold
TThe last class is the Luxury Expedition Ships This is a supper soft posh cruise ships with hardened hulls for ice but... more travel advice
The next class of ship is about twice the size as the Research class and it is know in the Polar areas of the world as a... more travel advice
- See All Chile Bay - Arturo Prat Naval Base
- See All A place for the head on King George III...
- See All Rothera Coffee House
- See All Stamps from Antarctica 4
Ekahau's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 44 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- Commented on one of Ekahau's Antarctica travel pages
- Commented on the Antarctica Local Customs travel guide
- updated a Antarctica Travel Page "A small walk across Antarctica"
- Uploaded a Photo to "research class of ship to Antarctica"
- Wrote a Review Luxury Expedition Ships in Antarctica Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues