"Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York" Top 5 Page for this destination New York State by Ekahau
New York State Travel Guide: 24,000 reviews and 55,791 photos
BEAR SIGHTINGS ! There have been numerous Black Bear sightings recently, especially in Ekahau's back yard Straub Dr., Mountain Road area. Please read on to make YOUR yard less attractive to our bear neighbors!!!!
Yes Colbert would love this report in our local newspaper.
10 things to do in New York (But not the normal Statue of liberty stuff)
1) Spend some time in a small village get to know the people.
2) See some of the countryside hike a trail like the Appalachian Trail, Bear Mountain, NY
3) Sail up the Hudson River
4) Raft down a creek or River like the Cattaraugus in the Zoar Valley or the beautiful Genesee River canyon.
5) Rent a Houseboat in the Thousand Islands or a canal boat.
6) Go Fly-fishing in the Catskills places like Beaver Kill (kill=creek in Dutch)
7) Explore one of New York very rich cultural histories like the Dutch heritage from the early 1600s along the Hudson River valley.
8) Explore the rich African American Heritage in New York that have added so much to the sense of what America is. The History, Art, Music "the Underground railroad" to freedom from slavery.
9) Art - some of the best museums in the World not only in NYC but in many places around the State.
10) Learn about the Native American culture at places like the Iroquois Indian Museum Fishing Campsite, Howes Cave, NY or listen to stories about Native American Traditions of the Algonquin & Seneca people in the, Schoharie, NY
Well my company moved me to the USA and now living in New York so thought I better get some pages up. This VTer misses Singapore a lot -- but well this is home now so I should start tell my vter friends about all the great places around me. Having spent most of my life outside the USA -- this is to me a funny thing exploring a culture and place that is officially home and at the same time new. The official name for someone like me is a Third Culture Person. So my view of what I see and tell you about is not that of a foreigner visiting the USA or that of someone who grew up in this culture. My view is different it is one of trying to understand a culture that is your parents but not completely your. My wife is from Asia and my kids just like me did not live in the USA until they started University ? this is boring isn?t it.
I now live in the woods in a beautiful area of New York know as the Hudson River Valley. This part of New York State was the home of the Wappinger people who spoke the Algonquin language when the Dutch came to this part of the ?New World. Village. The stream and towns close to where I live are now named Wappingers, Wappingers falls and Wappingers Creak. They were part of a culture that dated back thousands of years. In fact they moved into this part of the Americans just as my ancestors were moving from Southern Europe to parts north at the end of the last Ice age. (long time ago). However in less than 50 years from when the Dutch started to settle here the local peoples were all but gone. The clash of cultures and introduction of disease like smallpox just annihilated them. In the Hudson Valley the Dutch, mixed with a few French Protestants and Quakers were who came and settled from Europe. Many of the place names like mountains and streams in our area are Dutch like the Catskill Mts or the Harlem River.
- In a nutshell:New York has it all -- really.
Ribalta is the only pizza restaurant in the city run and staffed by Neapolitan front of house and chefs/ pizzaiolos.... more travel advice
A leg iron that had been taken off of a slave fleeing north to Canada that had found hidden in a nearby Quaker home was... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
New York State Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New York State"
- "Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York"
- "Road Trip through Upstate New York"
- "Home in the Hudson River Valley"
- "I LOVE NEW YORK-THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY"
- "Welcome to New York State"
- "NY.... Home Sweet Home......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York State
- Hotels in New York State
- Transportation in New York State
- Nightlife in New York State
- Restaurants in New York State
- Shopping in New York State
- Warnings and Dangers in New York State
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York State
- 71 Reviews
- 461 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to New York State?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York State
- updated a New York State Travel Page "Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York"
- Commented on one of Ekahau's New York State tips
- Wrote a Review Real Neapolitan Pizza in NY in New York State Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Real Neapolitan Pizza in NY"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues