"Ekahau on the HUDSON -- Hudson Valley New York" Top 5 Page for this destination New York State by Ekahau

New York State Travel Guide: 23,606 reviews and 54,205 photos

Come visit the Hudson River Valley New York

BEAR SIGHTINGS ! There have been numerous Black Bear sightings recently, especially in Ekahau's back yard Straub Dr., Mountain Road area. Please read on to make YOUR yard less attractive to our bear neighbors!!!!

Yes Colbert would love this report in our local newspaper.

10 things to do in New York (But not the normal Statue of liberty stuff)

1) Spend some time in a small village get to know the people.
2) See some of the countryside hike a trail like the Appalachian Trail, Bear Mountain, NY
3) Sail up the Hudson River
4) Raft down a creek or River like the Cattaraugus in the Zoar Valley or the beautiful Genesee River canyon.
5) Rent a Houseboat in the Thousand Islands or a canal boat.
6) Go Fly-fishing in the Catskills places like Beaver Kill (kill=creek in Dutch)
7) Explore one of New York very rich cultural histories like the Dutch heritage from the early 1600s along the Hudson River valley.
8) Explore the rich African American Heritage in New York that have added so much to the sense of what America is. The History, Art, Music "the Underground railroad" to freedom from slavery.
9) Art - some of the best museums in the World not only in NYC but in many places around the State.
10) Learn about the Native American culture at places like the Iroquois Indian Museum Fishing Campsite, Howes Cave, NY or listen to stories about Native American Traditions of the Algonquin & Seneca people in the, Schoharie, NY

New Home

Well my company moved me to the USA and now living in New York so thought I better get some pages up. This VTer misses Singapore a lot -- but well this is home now so I should start tell my vter friends about all the great places around me. Having spent most of my life outside the USA -- this is to me a funny thing exploring a culture and place that is officially home and at the same time new. The official name for someone like me is a Third Culture Person. So my view of what I see and tell you about is not that of a foreigner visiting the USA or that of someone who grew up in this culture. My view is different it is one of trying to understand a culture that is your parents but not completely your. My wife is from Asia and my kids just like me did not live in the USA until they started University – this is boring isn’t it.

Welcome to the Hudson

I now live in the woods in a beautiful area of New York know as the Hudson River Valley. This part of New York State was the home of the Wappinger people who spoke the Algonquin language when the Dutch came to this part of the “New World. Village. The stream and towns close to where I live are now named Wappingers, Wappingers falls and Wappingers Creak. They were part of a culture that dated back thousands of years. In fact they moved into this part of the Americans just as my ancestors were moving from Southern Europe to parts north at the end of the last Ice age. (long time ago). However in less than 50 years from when the Dutch started to settle here the local peoples were all but gone. The clash of cultures and introduction of disease like smallpox just annihilated them. In the Hudson Valley the Dutch, mixed with a few French Protestants and Quakers were who came and settled from Europe. Many of the place names like mountains and streams in our area are Dutch like the Catskill Mts or the Harlem River.

• Pros:Bears
  • Cons:Bears
  • In a nutshell:New York has it all -- really.
  • Last visit to New York State: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 14, 2006

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Oh sweet memories!! Thank you Paul for a very enjoyable morning read on the memory lane :-)) I was in Hawthorne and Chappaqua quite often ages ago, Peekskill was "forbidden territory", but now that I don't work in this industry and job anymore, I really shall consider coming back and enjoying Hudson Valley properly! Especially the Palatinate and Chagall windows and all this faboulous "stan" dishes :-))

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
      Jul 8, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Thanks for the Visit Trekki what industry did you work in ??

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Jul 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Pigment industry, for almost half a life, or 1/4 of a life :-) And now.... no more :-)

• IrishFem's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Great Pages, really enjoyed reading them, regards from Ireland.

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM

Hey Paul, just got home from Queenstown. catchup real soon x

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I'm so glad you saw the Cloisters, there weren't many visitors there last time I visited. Thanks for the bear tips :).

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 10:46 AM

not boring at all, you put things in perspective. Your New York State page, Hudson River, Appalachian Trail... meaningful to me. You guessed close, I am from Québec -- and to the World.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 2:46 PM

An interesting mix of idyllic upstate NY and ethnic NYC tips. And there is even some train service to get from one to the other. I used to live in Morningside Heights but never saw a cruise ship on the Hudson.

• Jul 18, 2007 at 9:40 AM

Hello Paul (again) Can't resist visiting your NY page. I have been there a few years ago but just for a couple of days so I was not able to see these beautiful places in your tips. Thanks! I can use them in the near future (i hope)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 4:33 AM

Hello Paul. Very nice page here with good info and nice photos, my ratings are definitely with you. Greetings from the desert / Jess in Dubai :-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 5:53 AM

Just had to pause in the middle of your wonderful page. I know someone who lives in Red Hook! I met her in Rome at the American Academy. She is a painter!

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Thanks for visiting my pages - glad you're enjoying your new home here - wish spring would come already tho!

Ekahau Visits Here Frequently!

Ekahau

“""I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over"”

Badges & Stats in New York State

Have you been to New York State?

Latest Activity in New York State